Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

anyone know the characters for the given name Ying1ying1?

maihaojiu   January 25th, 2011 12:15p.m.

Sorry if this isn't an appropriate place to ask.

Foo Choo Choon   January 25th, 2011 1:36p.m.

well possible that it's a nickname, especially that of a child - in that case the given name may be repeated "for diminutive purposes" as is sometimes done in the case of women as well, but not quite as common for males (for any corrections or additions please add your comment).
"Real" given names with two repeated pronunciations or characters exist as well of course, the diminutive version is simply quite common.

The name could include 英, for instance, so for the nickname becomes 英英. It could also be a baby, a "婴婴".

Maybe it's also a nickname that is not based on a fixed name and character, writings could differ and shouldn't be that strict about the tone in that case.

wispfrog   January 25th, 2011 5:12p.m.

This is one thing that I find quite annoying in normal life - seeing a pinyin name and not knowing the characters and/or tones for it.

Does anyone know a good site for looking up common names, which characters are used and which aren't?

shinyspoons   January 25th, 2011 7:07p.m.

I had a student called Ying1ying1, she used this character - 莺

雅各   January 26th, 2011 12:16a.m.

As far as I know, there are not really standardised characters used for chinese names. You are going to have to just ask them what the characters are.

xiaxuesheng   January 26th, 2011 3:49p.m.

I did a quick Arch Chinese pinyin table check, most likely it is:

瑛瑛 or 莺莺 (female)
应应 (male)
英英 (male or female)

pts   January 27th, 2011 2:36a.m.

Some very common names not yet mentioned:
媖媖, 璎璎, 朠朠 for female and 霙霙 for male

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!