Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

[non-Skritter] to really learn, take a test

jww1066   January 21st, 2011 11:32a.m.

Here's some recent research showing that "learning by testing" is a very robust technique, and is superior to a couple of other study techniques.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/science/21memory.html?src=me&ref=homepage

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I'm on a slow connection from the wilds of Colombia.

James

icecream   January 21st, 2011 12:04p.m.

Education goes through fads like everything else.

nick   January 21st, 2011 12:17p.m.

The studied showed that their active method (recalling what you wrote while not looking at it by writing it down, or what they call a test) is better than their three passive methods (just reading, or writing "concept map" notes while reading). Anyone who has tried to learn characters just by reading tracing knows this applies to Chinese.

It's weird to see it summarized as "learning by testing" for me since I'm so used to the idea that active learning works and passive learning is not nearly as good. Passive learning is much easier to do in higher volume, since it's not hard; I can read a book about a topic, no sweat. But I'm under no illusion that I'm learning much. If I want to actually learn, I need to actively make use of what I learn from the book. If I want to remember it, I have to repeat that over the long term, preferably with a spaced repetition system for efficiency.

WanLi   January 21st, 2011 2:35p.m.

reading fast less comprehension, reading slow better comprehension. learning requires you debate what you read and be able to recall it when you need. however my current goal is learn until becomes natural to recall these hanzi, test only shows me how well i have achieved my goal. and if it was a real test as in university of course i would remember my mistakes for ever.

jww1066   January 21st, 2011 10:25p.m.

@nick Yeah now that you mention it it looks like that choice of words might be more than a little loaded, given that the educational establishment is in a frenzy because of standardized testing.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!