Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Reviews bug

James Sharp   January 20th, 2011 3:48a.m.

I went away for a few weeks and had over 1600 reviews to get through when I came back, so have been slogging through them.

However, I noticed something strange today. This morning, I had got the total number of remaining reviews down to 850 (specifically picking that number as a target), but when I logged in again this evening, the number remaining was only 814.

Just to check I wasn't losing my marbles, I did a few more (getting the number down to 800) then left the writing part to view the progress screen, before returning to the study page. The total number of views was now listed as 787.

Is there any reason for this?

Byzanti   January 20th, 2011 4:10a.m.

Your reviews are going down. I'd be seriously happy whatever :p.

It's probably that the counter in the top left isn't quite accurate. I guess if you go back to the main screen or practice screen after studying, you'll see the right number. If you check that number next time you practice, you probably wont find any problems :).

Mandarinboy   January 20th, 2011 4:37a.m.

I had this problem too. With more than 8000 items to review the mismatch where around 50 items wrong. Now I am down to some 500 items and the mismatch is only some 5 items. I did however a counting of items cleared and I think that the counter on the practice page is only counting down words and not individual characters. The main page is doing this calculation based on all the items. I am sure that the main page is giving you the correct number while the practice page is getting data from the cache and do not always properly represent your due items. Trust the main page, it seems to be very accurate.

west316   January 20th, 2011 11:00a.m.

One slight catch on the main page's counter is that it hangs up at the last few items. If you continue until it says 0, often times you will be knocking out a few of the reviews that are due tomorrow. I have found that, for me, there is usually 50 or so items during "that last 7 items." Once I clear out the last 50, who even say 100% due, I will find that the next several days' items have been reduced.

It is very irritating, but I highly recommend not paying too much attention to that counter. Get it in the general ballpark so you know you are getting in enough reviews. Other than that, I would ignore it.

James Sharp   January 21st, 2011 9:12a.m.

Thanks for the useful comments. As long as I am not leaking kanji into the ether then I think I can cope with the minor discrepancies.

James

James Sharp   January 23rd, 2011 9:33p.m.

Just to update: I finally got through all the characters, but when it got to 3 reviews left, I then had to go through about 100 word readings and a couple of writings before the counter eventually decreased to 2, then another 30 or so before it went to 1.

I actually felt time dilate as I did them.

James

nick   January 24th, 2011 9:22a.m.

When you get down near zero, the review bar is almost always going to be off by a few. You can look at the readiness percentages of the words you're doing to get a sense of how due your current words are. (In the prompt, it will say things like "due (105%)" or "not due (77%)".) Reviews that are 99% are basically the same as reviews that are 101%, but just don't show up in the blue bar. But if you get down too far below 100% (say 80%), then you're overpracticing and may want to get some new words in there.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!