Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Free Trial?

Jaques99   November 3rd, 2010 5:47p.m.

Why do I have to give my credit card info for a free trial? I was very much interested with this product, however the way you people do business is a bit scary. I understand that I can cancel if I don't want to subscribe - but still I don't like giving away credit card info if I'm not yet sure I'll buy your product. Your methods resembles what the scammers use.

jww1066   November 3rd, 2010 5:50p.m.

@Jacques99 don't worry, the guys that run this site are very nice and won't rip you off.

peanutbutter   November 3rd, 2010 6:43p.m.

I think the Netflix free trial works the same way, so not automatically a cause for alarm.

Mandarinboy   November 3rd, 2010 7:19p.m.

This a very trustworthy site indeed so no need for worries but I actually do agree that I am not to found of the idea of having to sign up with my credit card details to get a free trial. I usually decline to sign up when they ask for that. However, I have been using skritter since they started and at that time you did not have to give your credit card details. By the way, this site is more than giving your worth of money even for a payed subscription. You will not find any better way of practicing your characters on or off line.:-)

贺知宝   November 3rd, 2010 8:43p.m.

I would never describe the way "these people" do business as scary. Try trustworthy and responsive. Skritter is about as far from a scam as you can get.

nick   November 3rd, 2010 8:47p.m.

Thanks guys. Jaques99, we've found that it makes the process a lot smoother to not break it up, and we make it extremely easy to know when you'll get billed and cancel if you're not satisfied.

Anyway, shoot us an email and we'll work with you so you don't have to give us your credit card for the trial.

mcfarljw   November 3rd, 2010 8:48p.m.

They are as trustworthy as the best. You're not really "giving them" your credit card information anyways as it's all done through a 3rd party vendor.

http://www.authorize.net/

Byzanti   November 3rd, 2010 10:24p.m.

Echo all the above. The Skritter guys are great, and will absolutely not cause any problems at all. I also don't like giving out my credit card details for trials, but I'd sooner trust these guys than any large company. It helps that Nick is also fast and good about answering emails too.

FatDragon   November 3rd, 2010 11:53p.m.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a free trial of a subscription service on the internet that didn't require credit card info... I agree that it occasionally scares me away, especially with services that I'm afraid I might forget to unsubscribe from before the free trial is over, but Skritter's definitely legit, so I wouldn't fear. You'll get a billing statement the instant you're billed as well, so if you don't like the site, you won't accidentally stay subscribed, and the guys are probably even nice enough to cancel the first payment if you decide not to use it but accidentally let your account go past the trial period.

Foo Choo Choon   November 4th, 2010 4:22a.m.

It's a cultural difference. Americans often do not understand the old world's attitude towards credit cards. I do not even own a credit card.

william   November 4th, 2010 9:03a.m.

I don't own one either. It's a pity today's world sooner or later will force me to get one though. 仕方がない~

balsa   November 5th, 2010 3:08a.m.

As trustworthy as I know the Skritter the team to be, I don't think I would have signed up for a free trial if it had asked me for my credit card information. So luckily for both parties, I signed up before that got put into place, because I do really enjoy using the application.
And I agree with 穆兒, the majority of Americans own a credit card, there's probably no other country where it's so easy to get one, but that's not always the case in other places...

百发没中   November 5th, 2010 8:52a.m.

"...there's probably no other country where it's so easy to get one...."...I'll sign that. My wife was refused a credit card several times because she is a foreigner (Chinese in Switzerland). The fact that she was married to a native and pulling in a fair amount of money working for a well-known company just didn't matter. I on the otherhand was immediately granted one although I was a student hardly earning any money at all...

nick   November 5th, 2010 9:00a.m.

I've been doing some reading, but I can't figure it out. Are debit cards as problematic overseas as credit cards? How do you normally pay for stuff online?

wb   November 5th, 2010 9:53a.m.

in Germany I usually pay with "direct debit" (I give them the number of my bank account and they get the money directly from my bank) or sometimes they just send you the stuff with a bill and you transfer the money to their bank...so no credit is involved, of course most shops also accept credit cards but I think the "direct debit" is most common...

Byzanti   November 5th, 2010 10:17a.m.

Direct debit in the UK at least is, due its nature of being a direct link to your bank account reserved for things like utilities (internet, gas, electricity etc), or your contract phone. It's not given out willy-nilly.

The UK's probably more like America with regard to ownership of credit cards (although, we're probably pretty reluctant to give details out for free trials). Debit cards are a bad idea to use online though. We can use them, but they have none of the protection that a credit card has (eg. instant refund if the company balls up). Still, I haven't seen an online shop in the UK where payment by debit card wasn't an option.

smhon   November 8th, 2010 4:35a.m.

In Singapore there is on top of the credit/debit card a local NETS system that allows for online transactions and is linked directly to any of the local savings/current accounts.

Over the years different guys have tried to market pay over the counter and purchase some kind of stored credit. The only segment it has worked well is for the children's market where by definition they would not have a credit card.

All said, I prefer to use a credit card

franco111222   November 12th, 2010 4:31a.m.

I have no credit cards. I suggest you include chinese online banking option as a possibility. I needed to ask a friend to use his card for me. Don´t really like that.

marchey   November 12th, 2010 7:48a.m.

In Belgium direct debit is cheaper too. Using the maestro function on the debet card. Also, as an extra measure of security most vendors that use either type of card over here will require an extra step, using an electronic cardreader. When I pay online, a popup from my bank appears asking me to put the card into a special card reader. Then I have to punch in some numbers on the card reader, including my personal code. Only if everything is ok, will the payment be made. The USA has still a lot to learn regarding safe online payments IMO

Marc

hicrihicri   January 29th, 2011 10:00a.m.

actually, i found it a little scary too. However, the service is good enough for me to take a little risk. Not that it is ACTUALLY risky.(I really dont know if it is)
Among the things I tried, scritter.com is by far the best one until now. I hope it goes like this.

shaxda   February 4th, 2011 10:56a.m.

i am very intersted to this site but i am scared about asking my card number can you please send me other information easier than this

adress
jacayl2000@hotmail.com
thanks alot.

nick   February 4th, 2011 11:57a.m.

Sure! I've sent you the information.

casinpa   February 5th, 2011 5:03p.m.

Hi, I would like to have access to freetrial without giving my credit card reference yet.
Could you please allow me? Thanks in advance
Paola Casini

nick   February 5th, 2011 5:11p.m.

Paola, let me know your email address and I'll send you the information:
http://www.skritter.com/contact

Liam   February 11th, 2011 6:02p.m.

I'm wondering if I could get just the free trial?? I don't want to have to scramble around if I forget to unsubscribe. Chances are i'll buy it when I actually get a taste of the program.

Please help nick!

(Email: liam.st0bert@gmail.c0m

(replace the zeroes with os.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!