Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Making custom word list.

Cutler   October 30th, 2010 11:43p.m.

I am trying to make a custom word list but every time I enter in more than like 4 words and press 'save' it just says 'saving' and never finishes.

This is super annoying because a lot of pre-made word lists that I want to just paste in, but I skritter won't let me save them

Whats going on? How can I get mass amounts of words to actually save and be entered into the list?

Byzanti   October 31st, 2010 12:12a.m.

Perhaps the server's having a bad time at the moment. Although, you could try another browser meantime?

Normally it's fine, although I have also seen this before.

Mandarinboy   October 31st, 2010 12:38a.m.

I really seems to be a bad performance day today. All day (night in the US) i have had numerous indefinite waits in all parts of it. Can't see anything on Google page about any problem but it is to slow. Maybe just wait with it to another day because it usually do work fine to do that.

dert   October 31st, 2010 4:49a.m.

I'm in China, and I've been having this for the past week.

Mandarinboy   October 31st, 2010 6:29a.m.

I had that last week in China as well and Now I am back in Japan and it is actually worse. Getting weird incidents. Added some words and the counter jumped 120 numbers. After that I clicked the add button but nothing where added. Repeated that over and over and only 1 out of 10 or so is actually adding a new word. It might be that the app engine servers in Asia are overloaded. Did just check Google but their report shows normal response times. My problem now is that when i reach 0 in the queue it just hangs for about 2-3 minutes before anything happens. Well, that is not stopping me from studying anyway, it just gives me some well needed breaks, start to like this feature:-)

Cutler   October 31st, 2010 7:17a.m.

Good to know I am not alone in experiencing this problem.

Guess the only thing I (we) can do is wait it out. Though I hope it doesn't take to long cause I have a test in less than two weeks!

Thanks for the replies everybody.

tunghiem2010   November 1st, 2010 6:53a.m.

I am experiencing this problem too. It's annoying since I am in a language intensive program, everyday we have to learn about 70-80 words ( not characters, but still!). Learning that much requires Skritter, otherwise they will just blur together in an unfocused mess.

I am also in China and using Firefox.

I remember last time Nick fixed it in like an hour!

Please Nick, please. I already have 2 days of learning without Skritter!

serickso   November 1st, 2010 12:05p.m.

Looks like the saving mechanism just isn't good at handling server timeouts. Nick is handling making the servers more stable in general, and I just put up an update that should have the system try saving repeatedly until it works, rather than only try once. Also, if auto retrying doesn't seem to be working, it will pop up a message which will let you tell it to try again manually. Since this is an intermittent problem it seems, it should catch after a few tries.

The server being unstable seems to happen most when we're asleep though! I wasn't able to reproduce the problem, which is sort of central to debugging. So let me know if it still isn't doing the trick and I'll have at it again.

Byzanti   November 1st, 2010 12:24p.m.

That's interesting.... serickso :s?

scott   November 1st, 2010 12:38p.m.

Heh, whoops that's a secondary account, using my old college username (they only let you have 8 characters). I test on it when I want to try things as not an admin since the site works a little differently when you have god like powers; you can sometimes miss bugs.

tunghiem2010   November 1st, 2010 7:34p.m.

Can some one confirm it's fixed. I don't want to go through a list of about 30 carefully selected words, and retype again :(

tunghiem2010   November 1st, 2010 7:34p.m.

Please :D

Mandarinboy   November 1st, 2010 7:44p.m.

It do works for me for the moment from Japan. Do not have any problems for the moment. If you have the list of the words, why not just cut and paste? Instead of doing all 30, do a few at the time to minimize any problem. You can edit the list so if any problem should a arize they can be fixed.

Gregory   November 1st, 2010 8:53p.m.

Hi Scott. Thanks for looking into this. I'm still having the problem, at 9 on Tuesday morning in China. I tried to add two words to a custom list, and the system froze. The "click to retry" button did come up, but it still wouldn't take after more than 10 intermittent tries.

wb   November 1st, 2010 10:56p.m.

@tunghiem2010 just type somewhere else and use copy&paste?

nick   November 1st, 2010 11:08p.m.

This is a tough one to find! I just did ten sections of a new textbook without any issue. We will keep trying. Gregory, did you see any JavaScript errors or anything like that when you were trying to do this? (Ctrl+Shift+J in Chrome or Firefox, lower left-hand warning icon in IE, Tools -> Error Console in Safari.)

tunghiem2010   November 2nd, 2010 1:10a.m.

@Wb: I usually use the list import function to instantly look up and reinforces characters/words' definitions,so I Iike to type them as I read the text, but that's a good idea.

It's just that it happened when I didn't expect it to, so there went my effort of selecting new vocab.

I once tried chunk few words together at a time, but that failed after I got above about 10 words in total. No matter how small the chunk was!

Nick:did you try to find it with China's settings?

Gregory   November 2nd, 2010 1:25a.m.

To Nick: No, no errors came up in my browser. I'm using Chrome now, but just a moment ago tried to make the additions using Firefox and Explorer, but they both had the same problem. I'm not trying to import lists, rather I'm typing in individual words, one at a time. I can "edit this section", and then try to "add words", and even choose from "All results", but then the system won't "save changes". The "Not saving? Click to retry" button does not seem to work, but all other options are still available - when I click on anything else, however, it indicates that I will leave without saving the changes (and if I try to cancel and save changes, it freezes as before). I've been using Chrome via a dial-up modem in Shenzhen - I don't *think* anything's changed on my end, but... ya never know.

tunghiem2010   November 2nd, 2010 6:22a.m.

It's not working for me either and the console error showed no errors.

"Click to try again" didn't work either.

Cutler   November 2nd, 2010 8:00a.m.

still not working for me, hope this can get fixed soon.

wb   November 2nd, 2010 8:24a.m.

can't see any of those problems in Taiwan...

scott   November 2nd, 2010 9:43a.m.

Aha! It seems it was the server proxy for www.skritter.cn, which is why we didn't see it, we were testing www.skritter.com.

I got the problem to show up using www.skritter.cn, fiddled with the proxy settings and what was not working for me before is now working. So this time the problem should be solved, but it's possible I only solved part of the problem. Keep us informed of how it goes and I'll tackle it again if this didn't solve everything.

I'm still a little confused why it started acting up in the past week...

Gregory3236   November 2nd, 2010 8:20p.m.

To Scott: Well fiddled! Sho' 'nuff, that seems to have fixed it on my end. I'll let you know if any issues crop up again.

Many thanks!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!