Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Wearing a hole in the wacom pad

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   September 14th, 2010 12:36p.m.

I keep replacing the nib, and try relocating the skritter window to different positions on the screen, but today i just noticed theres a perfect square of scratchedness to the point where it doesn't write the same in that spot, or feel smooth anymore.. It looks like someone took a paperclip and started scratching the area over and over...

I figure I'll put a peice of notebook paper and tape over the entire pad...

Should I have taped paper since the beginning?
is anyone else's pad like this?

jww1066   September 14th, 2010 12:48p.m.

I've had my old Graphire for years and haven't had this problem. Could it be that your broken nib has been damaging it?

I don't think paper will last very long. Maybe some kind of thin but tough plastic?

nick   September 14th, 2010 1:08p.m.

My pad has little shiny areas where I usually write, but it hasn't affected how I'm writing on it. How hard are you pressing?

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   September 14th, 2010 1:56p.m.

i'm a hard writer, but when the nib starts to feel any different I just change it...

I grabbed some thicker sketching paper, taped it on- and it works brilliantly... even feels better (like im writing on paper!)

However it completely kills the "touch" feature from working at all with the paper on, oh well- never really used it anyway

Now i wonder if it will scratch through paper? lol.

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   September 14th, 2010 2:13p.m.

woot, the touch feature works after all, paper+pad=digital paper

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   September 14th, 2010 3:26p.m.

jww1066:
Oi, paper truely doesn't last long... >:O
thank you for the tip on the thin plastic, looks like i'll have to try that instead. lol

Lurks   September 14th, 2010 11:14p.m.

I had scratchy thing too but then realises I could simply wipe it away and it was smooth again. It seems to be some of the nib abrading off.

dert   September 16th, 2010 3:09a.m.

Another possibility is this: use the eraser end of the pen instead, since it's round and blunt and shouldn't cut as much. I dropped my pen once and now the writing tip no longer works--been that way for several months now. I've searched the net and found a way to fix it, by dismantling my pen and gluing it, but the eraser end works for everything I do (Skritter, Skritter, and Skritter) so I haven't attempted it.

FatDragon   September 17th, 2010 1:12a.m.

Just how much time do you spend Skrittering daily? I've had mine for about 5 months now, and it's definitely got a smooth Skritter spot, but it's not gotten any worse than that. I wonder how hard you must be writing to wear it down like that. The current paper-like texture of the Bamboos is a bit controversial among old-school Wacom users, because it gives better tactile feedback at the cost of being less durable...

I would pop over to the Wacom forums, or possibly a graphic art forum to ask about Wacom tips, including how to/if you can resurface the pad more durably without losing the touch input. I don't know what technology they use, but I know that there are screen protectors for capacitive touch screens that still allow touch capability, so it's possible that you could cover it in such a way that the touch capabilities are still there.

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   September 17th, 2010 11:11a.m.

(deleted)

Lurks   September 17th, 2010 11:48p.m.

Logically the pad should have a higher hardness index than the nib. That seems to be the case with mine, the nib abraids and the pad doesn't.

I'm surprised it's otherwise, maybe they figured it out later on. Mine is one of the new pen and touch things.

Byzanti   September 18th, 2010 12:52a.m.

Lurks, is your one the touch + pen or just the pen? I'm wondering if the latter has a different surface...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!