Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter on Android

葛修远   September 14th, 2010 11:42a.m.

This looks unbelievably cool. I have visions of Skrittering everywhere I go.

The first obstacle though, is getting an Android phone and I don't really know if it's worth the £35 / month it costs for a Nexus One.

Has anyone in the UK had success using Skritter (or flash stuff in general) on a cheaper android handset?

mykè   September 15th, 2010 3:43a.m.

Unfortunately...I'm still waiting for Samsung to upgrade my Galaxy S Vibrant. :(

葛修远   September 15th, 2010 6:11a.m.

To Android 2.2?

I was looking at one of those, they seem a bit more affordable than the HTC ones.

Does it not currently run Skritter then?

nick   September 15th, 2010 7:36a.m.

Android 2.1 won't run Skritter. If something has Flash Lite 4, it pretends to run the Flash app, but doesn't really work. I read that the Galaxy S Vibrant should get 2.2 in Europe before the end of September.

mykè   September 15th, 2010 8:42a.m.

Yes...still waiting for android 2.2 (froyo).
As Nick said, it has Flash lite...but it's only able to load simple flash movies (banners, menus etc.)
Applications, like Skritter, need the full version of Flash, available on 2.2.
I've heard that probably it'll be released on September 23rd in Europe...
I'll try to keep you posted about that.

jww1066   September 15th, 2010 10:35a.m.

I've been practicing on my Android for about an hour in the airport... it's excellent. There are still a couple of minor problems with scrolling and the reading practice is a little clunky, but I'd say it's totally ready for prime time.

James

Nicki   September 19th, 2010 6:22a.m.

If you turn off writing practice, you can skritter on 2.1

I'm hopeful my HTC wildfire will be updated to 2.2 soon.....

mykè   September 20th, 2010 3:40a.m.

Hi Nicki...who was your message aimed at? Developers or users? Because I tried to turn off writing practice but it still asks me to install flash plug-in. :(

nick   September 20th, 2010 8:35a.m.

Some Android phones have Flash Lite 4, which may be what she's referencing. I didn't notice that working in my very brief test before George's phone got the upgrade, but I could have messed it up.

Nicki   September 20th, 2010 9:24a.m.

aimed at anybody who wants to know :)

I'm not sure if mine has Flash Lite 4. I was pretty happy with any functionality at all, although of course full functionality is my dream. I find it works best to turn off writing practice from the computer before loading the site from the phone.

mykè   September 20th, 2010 9:49a.m.

On my Samsung Galaxy I should have Flash Lite 3.1
I tried to do what you said (with Dolphin and Skyfire browsers), but nothing happened. I can only see the menu bar on the top...nothing more.
Could you pls give me more details about the browser and phone you're using?
It'll be great to start practicing Skritter, even without full functionality, since I'm still waiting for Samsung upgrade to froyo...
Thanks a lot! ^_^

Nicki   September 20th, 2010 9:58a.m.

ok I am on HTC Wildfire. It comes with an "Internet" icon but I don't know what browser that actually is. In app info it just says "Internet version 7"

In my internet settings I do see that I have flash enabled.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

nick   September 20th, 2010 10:49a.m.

It definitely isn't going to work on Flash Lite 3.1, unfortunately--Flash Lite 3.1 can't run ActionScript 3 code.

Chris Muddler   January 26th, 2011 2:22p.m.

Hi
I am studying chinese and been looking for a smarter way to practice characthers, then a student tips me about skritter and I am thinking of subscribing.

But my question is will skritter work on a Samsung Galaxy Tab?

nick   January 26th, 2011 3:04p.m.

It works (although one person reported some issues), but I still have to do a bunch more tinkering with the layout to get it to be nice. Right now some parts of the practice page are turned off because they wouldn't fit on the Android 2.2 phones, and need to be turned back on for the Galaxy Tab.

jww1066   January 30th, 2011 7:39a.m.

@chris - Yes, it works, with some rough edges. See this video to see the Galaxy in action. It's a little out of date, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XIE_8f3meQ

The main issue now is the zoom level of the page. Since the video was taken, there was a change (an attempted fix to the visible border, I think) which messed up the zoom, so the only way to get the whole practice area visible is to load the page with "Default Zoom" set to "Medium" or "Close", then change to "Far".

The reading prompts are still basically broken, although you can work around that by hitting "show" instead of trying to type in answers.

James

west316   January 30th, 2011 9:58a.m.

@ Jww1066

Do the writing and definition prompts work well? Those are the only two I use on Skritter anymore and I am considering getting an Android device.

jww1066   January 30th, 2011 10:50a.m.

@west316 definitions work perfectly. Writing is good with only a few hiccups, although it's not as quick as on a computer.

If you end up trying out one of the cheaper Android tablets (like the cheaper ArchOS ones) let me know how it works out.

James

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!