Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

No Hiragana but maybe Katakana?

LadyMissie   August 30th, 2010 1:56p.m.

So I looked up a few past topics that asked about Hiragana being added and why it cannot due to it being too cursive. I'm just curious if this means Katakana could be possible some day? Katakana is pretty strait as far as lines go.

I know this program was made for Chinese and that all Chinese fixes come first but this program is amazing for Japanese as well. Even if Hiragana doesn't happen having one of the kana "alphabets" would be a nice treat. :)

Just curious about the creator's thoughts on this or if it's in the works somehow. There are a billion flashcard programs to remember the Kana but I still have trouble remembering how to write some of them.

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 30th, 2010 2:10p.m.

I was just thinking the other day, how if kana was supported, we would have the capability to write full words out (instead of it skipping the kana and moving on to the next available kanji)... how damn cool would that be!

頑張って下さい! Try writing them on paper using words, in sentences, imho that is the best way to remember the tricky katakana

is it (shi/tsu/so/n) that you are having a tough time remembering out of curiousity?

LadyMissie   August 30th, 2010 2:35p.m.

シツソンセサ めぬるろ

These are generally the kana that I get messed up. The Katakana make more sense than the Hiragana given that they look so close to each other. I've been getting a little better between ru and ro. Not sure why me gets me like it does. I know ne but I figured I would put it in there anyways since it's close to me.

jcdoss   August 30th, 2010 5:33p.m.

Good idea, g1itch. It would be totally freakin awesome to be able to write whole words. I could then actually almost be challenged by some of the katakana words I dumbly added to my queue.

nick   August 31st, 2010 7:47a.m.

How useful would it be to write the katakana in words instead of or without having the hiragana? I've been operating under the impression that having just katakana is only 20% or 30% as good as having both, since you wouldn't be able to write out every word. But I don't know Japanese beyond calling that mother over there an elephant, cockroaches are great, now goodnight is dishonoring one's family, and other essentials.

jcdoss   August 31st, 2010 8:45a.m.

In reality, anything is better than nothing, especially if there's an "off" button somewhere so people who don't want to be bothered can shut off the katakana, hiragana, or both.

For some reason, after lengthy study, katakana is still not automatic for me, probably since I don't see it as often. Hiragana would be useful not for the purpose of learning hiragana per se, but for memorizing okurigana.

For example, 治す and 治る mean "to cure, heal" and "to be cured, healed," respectively. If the Skritter prompt is two blanks and "to be cured," then I'd have to remember and write 治る, which is a level above what we have now.

LadyMissie   August 31st, 2010 11:31a.m.

I was originally thinking just having the kana as a whole separate thing so we could learn how to correctly write them but I really really love Jcdoss's idea as well. I haven't gotten that far into Japanese so maybe that's why it didn't even enter my mind. :0

ジェレミー (Jeremy)   August 31st, 2010 11:43a.m.

(deleted)

nick   September 1st, 2010 8:04a.m.

The katakana is possible, but will be a lot of work. So while it's on the list, it won't come soon, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestions for how to do it!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!