Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

meaning of 身上

murrayjames   August 24th, 2010 8:19a.m.

我们父母身上都有长处和短处。

What's the meaning of 身上 here?

skritterjohan   August 24th, 2010 9:40a.m.

"on the body" ?

So I would guess it to mean their physique /outward appearance has good and bad sides.

AmyDu   August 24th, 2010 11:39a.m.

Mnnnn, "on the body" seems too literate. There is nothing like it in English. figuratively speaking...for our parents as human beings....something radiates from inside out, not merely on the appearance.

pts   August 24th, 2010 1:51p.m.

“themselves”

murrayjames   August 25th, 2010 12:34a.m.

pts,

So it's part of the pronoun, 类似的“我们父母他们……”?

skritterjohan   August 25th, 2010 5:03a.m.

So is this about their character qualities then?

pts   August 25th, 2010 2:23p.m.

That 身上 is added for emphasis. So I translate it as “themselves” to make it “Our parents themselves…” Another way to say it in Chinese is 我们父母本身。。。

Its usage is similar to 这件事包在我身上,保证兑现。Searching the web for the translation of 这件事包在我身上, I’ve found something like, “leave it to me” or “just leave it all to me”. That 身上 never gets translated because it just emphasizes the “我”.

pts   August 25th, 2010 5:29p.m.

I can’t see any reason why it’s limited only to character qualities. Any intrinsic quality, like physique / outward appearance can be counted.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!