Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Adding new words to a custom list

GerryB   August 19th, 2010 6:15a.m.

This is probably so obvious, I am missing something. I am trying to create a custom list of words from our Chinese lesson. I went to the Make a New List section and made a new list. I added sections to it, but i cannot see how to manually add new words to it! I also use MDBG.net and want to create custom lists from the Skritter button on that website, is there any way to do that? 谢谢!

aharlekyn   August 19th, 2010 6:27a.m.

You've most likely published the list. I have recently done the same thing. After the list have been published, no changes can be made.

aharlekyn   August 19th, 2010 6:35a.m.

PS: Nick, could you possibly when you have time delete my published list: MAN102S.

Its not supposed to be published yet. I am still adding sections (or rather chapters from my prescribed book). You'll see there is 2 lists now with the same name. One unpublished- the one I want to keep and work with - and the published one - which is useless since it only got one section.

nick   August 19th, 2010 7:56a.m.

Did you hit "Save Changes" after you added the sections, GerryB? I don't see any sections in the lists you were making. After hitting "Add Sections" and typing a few section names, you hit "Save Changes", then next to each empty section there's an "Add Word" link. We're working on the list creation process so it's easier.

We'll also make it so that words from MDBG automatically go into their own list, but that's not ready yet.

Aharlekyn, I've deleted that extra list for you. Another thing we're planning to do is allow people to add onto the end of published lists.

aharlekyn   August 19th, 2010 8:12a.m.

Thanks. Thats great. At the moment I am the only one in my class that use skritter and I only get to promote it once a semester when I finished with the study material a couple of weeks before the exam. Then I am able to publish the list and tell them its here. (But by that time it's to late to start practicing.)

If I could publish every section I add, I could tell them every week or 2 that the vocabulary of a new chapter of the handbook is online.

rgwatwormhill   August 19th, 2010 6:08p.m.

Why not just make one small list every week?
Rachael.

nick   August 20th, 2010 10:39a.m.

One of the problems with the current list workflow is that people end up making many small (one section) lists. This gets unwieldy both for the person studying a lot of lists and for the custom lists view. We're working on redesigning it so that it's easier to make bigger lists, which are better organizational units.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!