Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

The character 火

Bohan   August 13th, 2010 2:56p.m.

It seems like there's been a slight change in the way this character looks on Skritter. The dots used to be symetric, but now they're almost parallel.

I'm just curious why this has happened

Laurent Mattiussi   August 13th, 2010 4:04p.m.

According to Wenlin, 火 (with dots "almost parallel") is the form of the character as a component. In the independent form of the character, the dots are rather perpendicular.
Here's Wenlin's explanation:

"At the side of a character, 火 is written [I can't paste the picture, but it shows the side form of 火, with dots "almost parallel"], as in 灯 dēng 'lamp' and 烟 yān 'smoke'."

nick   August 15th, 2010 9:57a.m.

Right. It also seems to be a personal stylistic choice if you look at how different fonts do it. George just standardized all these in the manner above because in our system, the dot used for the almost-parallel style can be written either down-left or down-right and still recognized, while the down-right dot cannot be written down-left.

Laurent Mattiussi   August 15th, 2010 3:31p.m.

I was a bit bothered by 火, without knowing exactly why. It's all right now. Thanks to both of you.

Lurks   August 21st, 2010 11:48p.m.

I always found it a huge pain to write in Skritter. Actually probably the single most difficult to thing to get Skritter to recognise, possibly because I was insisting on doing it wrong.

It seems to have been easier lately but maybe that's just me finally getting some skills :)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!