Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

word-level rating button

jww1066   August 6th, 2010 9:36a.m.

I noticed that the little button next to the word that lets you select "got it", "so-so", etc. doesn't show up if I hit the "back" button. That is, if I go back one or two, I can change individual characters to "wrong" or "so-so", but I can't seem to change the rating for the whole word.

This is on Chrome 5.0.375.125 on Windows XP.

On a related note, did you guys ever add keyboard shortcuts to rate the whole word? I know this has been discussed before but I forget where it was left.

James

Byzanti   August 6th, 2010 9:48a.m.

Usually you can press back and change the word rating once, however if you try and change it a second time you'll find you can't. Presumably it then submits it to the server.

I do it all the time... (Although, previously on occasion this couldn't be done, as I guessed it just submitted too quickly, although that was rare and I haven't noticed it recently).

jww1066   August 6th, 2010 9:54a.m.

Hmmm, you're right, it only seems to happen when I've already rated the word. But I can rate characters, go forward, go back, and re-rate characters; why can't I re-rate words?

nick   August 7th, 2010 9:19a.m.

Bug. Got it on my list.

We haven't added keyboard shortcuts for that yet, no. Before I do that I want to fix it so that you don't usually have to rate characters and words manually as much when you "forget" a common character because you didn't know which one it was in the word.

We did just add keyboard shortcuts for opening the word popup, though: press "D" on the practice page (or "K" for left-handers). Keyboard shortcuts are kept in the FAQ:
http://www.skritter.com/faq

jww1066   August 7th, 2010 12:41p.m.

I use the word-level rating button extensively because I study many words and phrases where I know perfectly well how to write the individual characters, but I don't know which characters to write for the word, or sometimes I don't know the correct order. In those cases I assume that marking the character wrong would mean to Skritter that I don't know how to write it, which is not exactly correct.

James

nick   August 7th, 2010 10:06p.m.

Yes, that's the use case that will happen automatically.

Tove   August 8th, 2010 5:06a.m.

For clarification: Does this mean that if I study the word 社会, and forget which the second character is, do I then get a lower grade on 会, also as a single character?

Tove   August 8th, 2010 5:13a.m.

... and if I also forget the second character in 机会 a couple of times, this would explain why 会 appears for practice much earlier than expected?

nick   August 8th, 2010 8:54a.m.

Yes, although you would usually have to forget 会 in more than one word before it would start showing up by itself before in 机会, so normally the behavior doesn't actually make any visible difference for two-character words.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!