Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

internet connection

贺知宝   July 29th, 2010 11:15a.m.

I will be living in an area with very slow internet. I have been told that it will either be dial-up, or have dial-up speed. Will this be too slow to run skritter?

scott   July 31st, 2010 3:07p.m.

Hard to say. You could probably simulate a slow connection to see. Do you use Firefox on Windows? There's an addon that lets you test slower speeds.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5917/

I'd check it myself but I don't have my Windows machine nearby (visiting the parents for a week right now, just have my Linux laptop).

I remember being on a 60kB/sec connection a few summers ago. Either I could play WoW or my housemates could play multiplayer Halo, but not both at the same time. So I bet a slow connection would do okay, the question is how fast do you go through your reviews and will the system download them faster than you review them?

Byzanti   July 31st, 2010 7:16p.m.

I used it on a train once. Connection was a lot worse than 56k though, and Skritter wasn't very useable. Given how little bandwidth it requires though, I'd imagine it'll probably be ok...

nick   August 2nd, 2010 10:20a.m.

I've heard from people using Skritter on dial-up that it works fine. The way words are loaded in advanced means that unless you have a spotty connection, you won't notice anything (unless you're going really fast) while practicing. Minor latency or small bandwidth should be fine. The rest of the site might be a little slower.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!