Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

To miles - also, idea for new mnemonic feature

Bosmon   July 10th, 2010 3:09a.m.

I wonder if it would be possible to integrate the mnemonic feature with something like a forum. Quite often I am so impressed with a mnemonic that I would like to get in touch with the original author. I think this would be an interesting new source of "community".
To miles, you have to win an award for "Thick Cliff, child of the generous sun" :)

Bosmon   July 10th, 2010 3:32a.m.

PS - also kudos to Grahameh for "Honorable Fu3" :P

Neil   July 10th, 2010 5:58a.m.

树 "this is the correct word for a tree" - good one!

sarac   July 10th, 2010 10:17a.m.

This is a suggestion for those who use/like the formatted types of mnemonics. Sometimes what seems most helpful to me is a resemblance to another character although there's no shared component, according the the sources I check. So I use the ~ mark to flag that; I know it's supposed to be a tilde but it reminds me of the mathematical symbol for approximate. For example, just now I was writing one for 抵 (support) and the right half I connect with 低 (low) so I put ~low~ in my mnemonic.

Right, it's not for everyone but maybe it can work for you.

Miles   July 11th, 2010 1:27p.m.

Wow, thanks Bosmon! It's fun making these things up, isn't it?
sarac, I will adopt your idea. Only thing is, how not to confuse newcomers?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!