Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Why doesn't Skritter ever test me on writing?

wnzszi   July 8th, 2010 2:35p.m.

I'm frustrated that I can't further my learning when Skritter doesn't allow me to test my writing. I tell it that I KNOW the vocabulary words, but it just KEEPS GIVING ME THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER. I hope that it's just a big oversight on my part, but I'm starting to regret that I paid for a month of service when I can't even use the biggest feature of the site. If I wanted rote memorization of vocabulary, I could just use Smart.fm for free!

nick   July 8th, 2010 3:27p.m.

wnzszi, sorry to hear about the problems--that's no good! I took a look, and it seems like you only have definition and reading items added for the words you've been studying from Genki because the Genki textbook doesn't expect you to start learning the kanji until Chapter 4. So the words that you added from the first few chapters are reading and definition only unless you check the option "Study All Kanji In Lists" here:
http://www.skritter.com/account/settings-language

I see you've now turned off the reading and definition items altogether. If you move to section 4 of Genki, or pick another list that doesn't introduce the kanji so slowly, you can start to see them. Or you can check that all kanji setting and get the kanji from the first few chapters (starting from where you left off, or you can move back to the beginning to add them). You'd want to click "More Actions" - "Study Settings" to do either of those, resetting where you're adding from. The list is here:
http://www.skritter.com/vocab/list?list=agVza3JpdHIWCxINVm9jYWJMaXN0SW5mbxi43sYEDA

Hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any ideas for how this could have been better presented--I know the current interface for skipped kanji is very confusing.

scott   July 9th, 2010 9:55a.m.

I also took a look at your account, and it appears now you should be able to just study writings. As soon as you get through the few writings you have to study, it should start adding all words in the Genki textbook that have any sort of kanji associated with them, including all the words that you don't actually have to learn the kanji for. Let us know if it still doesn't work the way it should.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!