Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

some issues with my recent export

jww1066   July 7th, 2010 1:54p.m.

I ran through a recent export of my items and found a couple of potential problems.

1. One entry is
邮件 yóujiàn mail
Since it doesn't have [simplified] or [traditional] at the end, I assume it's supposed to be the same in both systems. However, nciku says the traditional variant should be 郵件.

2. Same thing for 这里, which comes out as a "both" entry. Here nciku doesn't say that the traditional variant should be 這里, but it does seem to me like it should be. Is this correct?

3. I seem to have one completely bogus entry:

⺀ chuà [placeholder--unavailable word; will add soon.]

This doesn't even display a character, and I suspect this was added in error.

4. Several items come out as "placeholder--unavailable word; will add soon." I tried to add definitions for them using the list editor, and this worked for most of them. However, this did not work for four of them, and the traditional variant still shows up with the "Add definition" button even though I have added the definitions for the simplified variants; trying to add the definition again gives an error. This is the same problem I reported in a previous thread:
http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=39906528

Here are the troublesome items:

堅苦卓絕
襯托
日誌
匯總

James

pts   July 7th, 2010 3:24p.m.

这里 - 這裏 (mainland), 這裡 (Taiwan)

balsa   July 8th, 2010 1:51a.m.

@pts I always thought 这里 was mainland, and 這裏 & 這裡 were two variants in the traditional form, am I mistaken? I'd be surprise to learn it's not the case after all those years.

pts   July 8th, 2010 2:05a.m.

@balsa Yes, 这里 is almost exclusively used in mainland because mainland use simplified character. But James was asking for the traditional variant of 这里 and hence the answer.

jww1066   July 8th, 2010 7:15a.m.

@pts thanks as always!

scott   July 8th, 2010 7:23p.m.

Fixed the bug with the traditional definitions. Leaving the rest for Nick!

jww1066   July 8th, 2010 10:52p.m.

@scott thanks!

nick   July 9th, 2010 1:18p.m.

For 邮件, it doesn't add the [simplified] and [traditional] tags if the other part of the word isn't studied yet. The traditional version, 郵件, is still in your queue and hasn't been added yet. Scott can speak to whether not appending the labels when you're studying both styles in general but only one style for that word is part of the design.

Same thing for 这里, except there's also the traditional variant going on there. 裡 seemed much more common than 裏 when I originally made the variant mapping, so that's what it is--you can study either by itself, but in words it must be 裡. Lot of trouble to change it now.

⺀ is a funny character. Because there's no reading or definition we can think of to assign it, it'll just stay in limbo forever.

jww1066   July 9th, 2010 3:17p.m.

@nick I see, that is kind of confusing. Let's say I'm studying both simplified and traditional, and let's say I have something like this in my export:

人 person
女 woman, female
儿 legs, son

Note that the first two are legitimately "both" entries, i.e. they are the same in simplified and traditional. However, 儿 is simplified and it just so happens that I haven't added the traditional version. In no case do I get a [simplified] or [traditional] at the end.

This seems to be kind of a problem, as I can't tell whether an entry is a "both" entry if I don't happen to know if the character changes between simplified and traditional or not. For example, in this case I would have to know that 人 and 女 don't change, but that the traditional version of 儿 is 兒. And in many cases I won't know the traditional variant off the top of my head. Would it be possible in this case to output [simplified], i.e.

儿 legs, son [simplified]

?

James

nick   July 17th, 2010 6:40p.m.

I made a bug for it.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!