Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

stroke recognition changes

sonorier   July 6th, 2010 1:58a.m.

I notice often that different strokes are badly recognized. Before I had problems with the 阝and 辶, recently 心 and 日 are a major pain in the ass. I wonder if you guys regularly update the recognition code or if it is my drawing that changes which is the cause. the problems are that the second stroke of 心 doesn't get recognized, I remember other users having the same problem, i just wonder why it happens now more than before. In the case of 日,the strokes get switched.

I know, I can change the stroke order strictness thing but I find that it does not do a lot. On the highest setting it still puts strokes in the wrong place, especially identical strokes, but even strokes that are very different.

Also how does it decide to accept the stroke but give a hint and when to just mark it as a bad try?

Anyway, I'm saving to buy some touchscreen device, I hope it will be easier then.

Rolands   July 6th, 2010 3:16p.m.

i also had annoying issue with 辶 and especially with 過, but recently for some reason i switched from firefox to chrome, and now it not just works faster, but i also have much less issues with strokes. I use use Wacom though. I know it sounds lame, should be no differences, but i specially tried use firefox and then again chrome. It is really better. Maybe just placebo effect, but who knows maybe it works for you also.

雅各   July 6th, 2010 6:25p.m.

You are probably just studying a different set of words than yo were before.

It depends on the word you are studying -- radicals can be easier or harder to get recognised depending on what words you are writing.

sonorier   July 7th, 2010 2:28a.m.

oh yeah, good point, didn't think of that one.

heruilin   July 7th, 2010 11:59p.m.

For me, I only have problems with the second stroke of the top part of 魚 . It has become incredibly hard to get even if I trace it exactly. The only way to get it recognized is by rendering it much faster almost flicking it.

sonorier   July 8th, 2010 1:48p.m.

true, speed has an effect. Sometimes writing a stroke faster or in one in stead of two or whatever strokes, gets it recognized more easily. Although i think this works more in my advantage because you can write characters like 子 and 阝more easily and rapidly.

nick   July 8th, 2010 3:37p.m.

I don't regularly update the recognition. You could say I periodically update it. The period is long. I am very overdue for it--got dozens of strokes that need a severe tuning.

Flash rendering speed can make a big difference. If there is any choppiness (often due to another resource-intensive tab or Flash app being open, other programs, a slow computer, or an old browser), the squigs you write will get all mauled and be hard to recognize.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!