Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Android 2.2 report

jww1066   July 5th, 2010 5:48p.m.

My Nexus One got the Android 2.2 update recently, so I installed the Flash player and tried Skritter out. The page does come up, but you can't draw on the writing area as it just drags the whole page around. The "settings" button also pops up the settings dialog behind the writing area, so you can't see half of the dialog.

I did try out http://8.latest.skrit.appspot.com/demo as suggested in this previous thread

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=36275537

but it has similar problems; the dialogs appear underneath the writing area, and drawing on the writing area simply drags the whole thing left and right.

Feel free to email me directly...

James

Lurks   July 5th, 2010 9:40p.m.

The new beta works okay, you need to focus on the flash app first.

jww1066   July 5th, 2010 10:08p.m.

Sorry, the new beta of what? And how do I focus on the Flash app?

James

nick   July 8th, 2010 3:54p.m.

I changed the version that was on 8 recently, so it didn't have the Froyo-compliant point tracking in there. I will make it work soon!

To focus on the Flash app, you currently have to double tap, I think.

Lurks   July 8th, 2010 9:21p.m.

That's right. If the screen drags it means the flash isn't focused on. However if the unworking version is on there, you wont get anything drawn when you click but you might see the brush dot move a bit.

nick   July 27th, 2010 9:42a.m.

Okay; try again. I've worked with Doug and made several changes to the practice page for Android. There are still a bunch of issues which I'll improve, but most are layout--apart from the point tracking initially requiring you to touch for a split second before starting to drag.

nick   July 27th, 2010 9:43a.m.

And you can just go to the practice page and it should autodetect the 2.2 browser, so no need for that special URL.

jww1066   July 27th, 2010 11:03a.m.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME. This is a huge improvement

There are still some significant problems.

1. The practice window partially obscures the definition and pinyin on the right. This happens no matter what zoom level I use.
2. The screen is really too small for all the information being presented, and the practice area is too small to write in (especially if the characters are a little complicated). I think for a mobile phone display it would be more reasonable to display the prompt using the full screen, then display the practice area in the full screen, with an option to redisplay the prompt if we want to see it again. Same goes for the header and footer. Hide everything else, so the practice area takes up 100% of the display.
3. When drawing strokes, occasionally it still grabs the Flash and drags it around instead of drawing the stroke. It's not clear to me exactly how the "click to focus" is supposed to work; I can get it to start drawing only about one time in five and then it often switches back to drag mode.
4. When drawing strokes, occasionally the little black dot becomes GIGANTIC.

James

nick   July 27th, 2010 11:11a.m.

Oh, the page didn't work correctly (didn't pull the mobile layout, but did pull the point tracking). I'll upload a better autodetection later. For now, put ?android=true at the end of the URL:
http://www.skritter.com/practice/all?android=true

jww1066   July 27th, 2010 11:24a.m.

Yeah, that's better. The practice area still feels pretty cramped, and I still have the problem with the giant dot. It's also a little laggy and often requires me to draw multiple strokes in order to register a single stroke.

However, at this point I think it already looks sufficient for tone and definition practice.

Nicki   July 28th, 2010 7:03p.m.

Hey guys, I'm living in China currently and am about ready to buy a new phone. Of course I'd love to be able to Skritter with it eventually, once the kinks get worked out. Could you recommend specifically what model would be my best bet, and one that's available to buy here would be great as well.

Thanks!

加油!

Nicki

nick   August 2nd, 2010 10:10a.m.

I don't know what's available in China, but any of the phones that will get Android 2.2 (Froyo) should be pretty good. I found this list; not sure how good it is:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198702/android_22_upgrade_list_is_your_phone_getting_froyo.html

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!