Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Speech in Chinese!

Nicki   April 16th, 2010 8:46p.m.

So my school just sent over the text of a speech they want me to give in Chinese, tonight! Here it is:

欧美加英文书院是海大新邻居,2009年来自广西桂林阳朔,全封闭由外教组成专攻英语口语及听力的专业书院,兼顾英语四、六级考试培训,互动式讨论教学,没有中文的校园,不出国的留学。走进欧美加,英语顶呱呱!

There are some bits I don't understand, like
全封闭由

兼顾英语四、六级考试培训

I think it's a great opportunity to use Chinese, but I just wish I had more time to prepare! I've got to teach English all day, and then give this speech this evening. Can anybody help me out a bit with understanding it? Thanks guys!!

~Nicki

Hobbes828   April 16th, 2010 9:43p.m.

I'm definitely no expert, and not too sure about the first one, but the second one I assume means something like:

"combining training for passing level 4 and level 6 English tests"

as one of the reasons for why it is such a great English school, maybe that makes more sense to you than it does to me :)

Nicki   April 17th, 2010 1:30a.m.

I think it would be better to say reasons why it is a great English school such as...because I teach there and I rock! But, uh, they didn't ask me about the content of the speech. Just want me to deliver it!

pts   April 17th, 2010 4:09a.m.

You should break the phrase “全封闭由外教组成” into 全封闭 (completely isolated) and 由外教组成 (constituted by foreign teachers).

兼顾英语四、六级考试培训 – Yes, Hobbes is correct on this. 兼顾 = will also work on.

pts   April 17th, 2010 4:13a.m.

全封闭 refers to what is mentioned later 没有中文的校园. That means the school is isolated from the surrounding Chinese environment.

Nicki   April 17th, 2010 6:34a.m.

Thanks! We ended up just taking that phrase out as I couldn't quite wrap my head around it and they said it wouldn't matter.

I drank some whiskey just now, I think that will help my fluency :P

Speech in about an hour, here goes nothing!

nick   April 17th, 2010 8:52a.m.

Go Nicki! How'd it turn out?

Nicki   April 17th, 2010 11:09a.m.

I felt super nervous and felt like I spoke too quickly, and killed all my tones. Ah, well, at least my husband said he couldn't tell I was nervous! Thanks for the support you guys!

psyfig   April 26th, 2010 11:17a.m.

Hope everything turns out ok for you Nicki. :)

BTW, what does that character in your profile picture mean?? Is there such a word??

jww1066   April 26th, 2010 11:37a.m.

@psyfig: It's a kind of noodles. There's some question whether it's a real character or was invented by the noodle chain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi%C3%A1ng_bi%C3%A1ng_noodles

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!