Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Twitter competition results

jww1066   April 13th, 2010 9:24a.m.

Here are the results from the Twitter competition which ended last night at midnight. Please check my numbers and let me know if I've made any mistakes.

Characters learned:
aeriph 98
jww1066 80
joschua011 59
bplyons 19
nwinter 17

Items reviewed:
jww1066 12327
aeriph  5469
joschua011 5327
bplyons 3920
nwinter 3152

穆儿, who did not compete, still kicked all of our butts with 133 characters learned and 16617 items reviewed.

Congratulations aeriph!

I'd be interested in hearing feedback about the competition. I certainly found it motivating. If people found it useful, we can do another one.

James

雅各   April 13th, 2010 10:47a.m.

I would love to know hours studied (ie how fast are people at using skritter?)

葛修远   April 13th, 2010 5:51p.m.

Certainly motivated me :-P

I think it would be really cool if the guys implemented an official top 10 or something, perhaps with daily, monthly and all-time ranks in a few categories?

I've been meaning to ask, James, do you have a background in psychology? Or is it an interest of yours? I often think your ideas come from that direction and it seems it'd be a really good thing for Skritter to look into as an aid to learning. E.g. how to make it more addictive, rewarding etc.

Byzanti   April 13th, 2010 6:08p.m.

”I think it would be really cool if the guys implemented an official top 10 or something, perhaps with daily, monthly and all-time ranks in a few categories? “

Yeah, I'd like to see something like this too. But should always be able to see where you are in relation...

jww1066   April 13th, 2010 11:39p.m.

@aeriph: Not a formal background, no, but I've read quite a bit about teaching and the psychology of learning. I worked for a while as a math professor and am interested in the science behind how we learn, which is very tied up with how we are *motivated* to learn.

James

雅各   April 14th, 2010 2:15a.m.

I think being able to see others graphs and progress would be great, even in the forum clicking on someone to see their progress. To make it work though you would need to have an opt-in/opt-out privacy setting ala facebook privacy settings.

Lyons   April 14th, 2010 3:19a.m.

Damn, I feel like such a slacker now.

Congratulations aeriph and everyone else! You guys are really going some.

It was fun to take part but I didn't find it motivating. I pretty much Skrittered as usual. Seeing the results now though, I might try harder next time!

葛修远   April 14th, 2010 6:03a.m.

@xkfowboa
Yeah I was wondering whether the rankings should show everyone or just a top ten. I think I'd prefer just a top-ten as it's more celebrating the people that are up there rather than showing up the people that aren't.

Personally I wouldn't mind my graph being public but I can completely understand why people would prefer to keep it private.

It's up to the developers, I suppose.

雅各   April 14th, 2010 6:22a.m.

Well the reason I am more interested in seeing everyones is when someone is giving advice on the forum about study techniques, I would be interested to know if that person has lots of experience studying in skritter or not much (:

jww1066   April 14th, 2010 7:25a.m.

@xkfowboa the graphs won't actually tell you that, because people sometimes start over with the "nuke" button. You would need to see something like "member since 1979".

James

aharlekyn   April 14th, 2010 10:39a.m.

I missed out on this one. Had a couple of semester test, so could really follow how the competition work and what I need to do (was in survival mode hahahaha.

Would like to join in on the next one (if its not a custom bar on the Skritter homepage by then ;)

aharlekyn   April 14th, 2010 10:41a.m.

Over how long time period were these number accumulated?

jww1066   April 14th, 2010 10:47a.m.

It was over nine days. Everyone set up their Twitter notifications for every 3 days, and we took the last three tweets.

James

aharlekyn   April 14th, 2010 11:58a.m.

Damn! I could've actually given you guys a go :( ;)

jww1066   April 14th, 2010 9:22p.m.

@aharlekyn: Bring it on! ;)

But I haven't heard any feedback on the way we ran it, which I take it to mean people were fairly happy. I liked the "current standings" that joschua011 did, and think I will put together a program to automate that for the next time. We can publish the current standings every couple of days (depending on when the tweets come out).

I also like the idea of including time spent, although I would caution that this number is not very reliable thanks to the way the countdown clock works.

James

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!