Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Progress and Total

aharlekyn   April 5th, 2010 9:25a.m.

Hi,

I am sure I have read discussion about this somewhere on the forum, but cant seem to find it now.

Is it at all possible to add next to the custom list (either on the practice page or on the vocab page)the total number of characters and how many you've reviewed like Anki does it. For Example:

Name Last Studied Total no of Characters Progress
MAN101R 18 mins ago 500 167/500

I use Skritter to study the characters in my University handbook and I need to make sure a) the vocabulary on my Skritter is the same as those in my handbook and b) I need to make sore I know all of them by the time I write exam.

Also: IS it at all possible "search" possibility in th lists that can do searches on either pinyin, characters or English meaning. On the same theme: When you add words to your custom list, could there be a "pop-up-message" when you add a character thats already on the list to tell you it's already there.

I hope I am not double posting.

nick   April 5th, 2010 10:45a.m.

The first idea would be useful but is not trivial, because database operations are slow on App Engine.

When you do a review, it checks if the next review interval has crossed the 12 hour "learned" threshold, and updates your total learned count for that item type (+1, +0, or -1). It would be tough to also search every list that you've added from and update those iff they contain that item. And when you added a new list, it would have to process the whole thing to generate that count. This could all be done, but it would be expensive. So it becomes less attractive for us.

For making sure that you know all characters by the time of an exam, I would recommend just getting ahead of the class in terms of adding the words. If your exam is on the first 12 chapters, then if you have added those chapters by a week before the exam and keep doing your reviews, then you'll know them all by the exam (unless you keep forgetting a few every day and never learn them, in which case you'll know which they are because you'll have a vendetta against them). You can also do some overpracticing right before the exam to freshen up.

Flexible search like you describe is also another harder problem on this database architecture. We may be able to improve it somewhat, but it's not a high priority for now. As much as I like the idea of an awesome Skritter dictionary, I keep needing reminding myself to focus on the core practicing experience.

It may be easy to put in a duplicate word warning in the next version of the custom list editor, which Scott will be building soon. Will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the suggestions!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!