Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Shortcut for marking word or tone as soso

雅各   March 25th, 2010 5:59p.m.

When I am learning new words it is common for me to be able to guess the pinyin, or guess the word with enough correct strokes that it gets marked as right and gets a green tick.

It's a minor annoyance that I have to click through to blue, red, and yellow to mark them as so so (ie I haven't forgotten it but I certainly dont know it). I just wanted to check there aren't any shortcuts for marking the tone or writing as "so so" are there?

Is there a list of shortcuts?

nick   March 25th, 2010 9:53p.m.

For writing and definition (and Japanese reading), you can hit 1-4 at any time to give it that grade and move on. For tone and pinyin, though, those shortcuts conflict with being able to type the tones, so they aren't available. I need to think of something better, because as you say, toggling through the grade indicators is a pain.

We had some keyboard shortcuts on the practice page section of the user's guide, but I won't link to it because it's so out of date that I shouldn't even be talking about it. (We are still thinking of ways to make one that won't suck.) Here's a current list:

Left arrow: back
Z or /: undo last stroke
X or .: erase
S or L: show
V or M: correct/incorrect
Space, enter, or right arrow: next
(For pinyin prompts, enter checks input and then goes next on the second press.)
1-4: input grade and go next
(For tone prompts, 1-5 and 6-0 input tones instead.)
Ctrl+Alt+F: toggle framerate display

There's one more secret one that I think no one has discovered.

jww1066   April 2nd, 2010 11:16a.m.

I'd like to second xkfowboa's request. I am studying a lot of long phrases (four+ characters) and it's quite common that I can remember all the individual characters based on the pinyin but can't remember the word/phrase. The way I handle this is to mark all the characters right but mark the word/phrase wrong, so a keyboard shortcut would be very helpful. Maybe Ctrl+1, Ctrl+2, etc.?

James

nick   April 2nd, 2010 11:27a.m.

That's what I do as well, and it is a pain. I still want to wait on making keyboard shortcuts for it until I think of either a better way to explain shortcuts, a better way to do grading indicator toggling, or both.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!