Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

email reminders

murrayjames   March 12th, 2010 3:39a.m.

Are email and Twitter reminders down for anybody else? It's been almost 3 weeks since my last reminder. A quick search on Twitter shows they aren't being posted there, either.

雅各   March 12th, 2010 6:31a.m.

Yea im pretty sure they are not working.

laurenziano   March 12th, 2010 8:44a.m.

same for me..

jww1066   March 12th, 2010 8:55a.m.

Same for me. A quick search of my email shows that I didn't get any forum notifications from March 1st until yesterday (when I got a couple). Twitter status updates also stopped March 1st.

James

scott   March 12th, 2010 9:13a.m.

Yeah, I've actually been working on this yesterday and will finish up today. Forum updates, reminders, and several other functions have all been running on Google App Engine cron jobs (regularly scheduled scripts) and the task queue (scripts that are put in and then run as soon as possible), but these have been failing to run and we haven't been receiving any notification that they've been failing to run (usually errors get emailed to us). I only noticed when people with monthly subscriptions were failing to be charged and so were having their accounts deactivated. Your previous post on another thread, jww1066, about not getting the notification for an updated thread also tipped me off.

So since these services are unreliable, I've switched us over to an external cron job system. It notifies me of when things go wrong so I can fix the problems, and it is supremely reliable. And if a task fails to run, I can fix it and it will try again and run successfully the next time around.

I'm not sure how long this has been happening, but I think these systems have become unreliable in only the last few weeks. We won't be going back until we get assurance from Google that these systems are safe to use.

jww1066   March 12th, 2010 11:59a.m.

@scott - you're the man

雅各   March 14th, 2010 4:22p.m.

Twitter still not working

murrayjames   March 14th, 2010 4:42p.m.

Huh, looks like Will's status was posted 2 days ago.

http://twitter.com/#search?q=skritter

scott   March 15th, 2010 12:01p.m.

Ah, the reminders that didn't get done on time aren't getting posted at all... Just made a little fix with how it finds the reminders that need to be sent. Should be a bunch of tweets coming by the end of the day.

Thanks for the report!

scott   March 15th, 2010 3:37p.m.

And there they go!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!