Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

"Reading" enabled = freezing

faceleg   February 11th, 2010 2:37a.m.

I enabled "Reading" and gave it a go - no matter what browser I tried skritter in, it froze...

Is it just me?

(after disabling reading everything works fine again)

scott   February 11th, 2010 9:03a.m.

Whoops, that wasn't supposed to go live.

Well now you know what Nick is working on... :)

faceleg   February 11th, 2010 9:16a.m.

Next time you're testing something let me know so I can be discreet about the bug report.

nick   February 11th, 2010 9:25a.m.

If I knew I was testing it... :p

Anyway, it's still a ways from being ready. I need to make it smart enough to know which tones and pinyin you missed and whether that should reflect on each characters' items, so that when you type na2na2hu3hu3 for 马马虎虎 (should be ma3ma3hu1hu1), it marks you wrong 马马虎虎's reading and tone, wrong for 马's reading and tone, right for 虎's reading and ignores its tone (because its tone should be hu1 in this word but it's normally hu3).

faceleg   February 11th, 2010 9:31a.m.

Don't forget the speech recognition option, so we don't have to switch between tablet/mouse and keyboard if we don't want to.

nick   February 11th, 2010 10:27a.m.

That's later, maybe this summer.

Xerxes314   February 12th, 2010 12:10a.m.

Oh, I was really hoping for bopomofo. Is that a project for later or not popular enough to make it in at all?

nick   February 15th, 2010 10:11p.m.

Bopomofo is a project for later on. Unfortunately, those are two similar schedules. As we keep making important things, there keep coming more important things and so many "later on" things never come.

However, many of them get snuck in besides when we're tired of working on bugs or big things or when we realize we were wrong about how important or difficult they would be. Bopomofo could be one of those, if it piggybacks on Cantonese and we decide to do Cantonese earlier.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!