Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Hello!

Lurks   February 6th, 2010 7:39p.m.

Hi there chums, I'm just kicking off with Skritter after having spent 18 months learning Chinese without learning how to actually hand write... I actually decided to go back to university this year, to study Chinese, and it's pretty awesome the text book is in the words list. Really enjoying it so far.

I actually built up a heck of a vocab (reading and comprehension) using Pleco flashcards on a Winmo phone. I need to stop with that because it doesn't help me write characters and my vocab is way in advance of first year undergrad Chinese as it is...

I've got a Nexus One and I hear Flash 10 is coming to Android soon(ish), which means Skritter should be go on my phone. Woohoo! Do you reckon the site would be operable direct from the browser or maybe some mobile version of the HTML or even a simple Android app?

nick   February 6th, 2010 11:49p.m.

Nice, that's a great phone. I'm really excited to see Flash 10.1 drop. We'll definitely be optimizing like crazy once that's available so that Flash 10.1 phones can run it. I don't think we'll do a native Android app, though.

Good to hear you're liking Skritter! With as much reading knowledge as you have, I'll bet learning to write is going to go wicked fast.

Lurks   February 7th, 2010 1:07a.m.

Hey Nick, by Android app really I was just thinking of using the existing flash - but having it work more 'app like', eg be a front end to the usual web stuff. Much like countless iPhone apps being basically just phone-tweaked UIs for a web site.

Might not be any advantage to it although being present in the market place might be useful for you purely as a marketing thing?

I bought a Wacom tablet just for Skritter. I'm an utter noob with these things, some toying seems to indicate it's best to restrict the size of the tablet being used. Any other tips for using a tablet? I think I read somewhere that you were looking at sensitivity input?

Lurks   February 7th, 2010 1:08a.m.

* By size I meant the area of the tablet being used.

nick   February 7th, 2010 8:55a.m.

Oh, I guess we might do that. The Android app market is pretty wimpy right now, but later it will be good. Good idea.

The tablet sizing depends on the size of your screen and your preferences. I actually have my 5"x3.5" tablet hooked up to my entire screen, which is effectively 5680x1920, so the writing area on my tablet is only 0.3"x0.6". Even though it's tiny and the aspect ratio is off, it works great and I can write really fast.

Hmm, I wonder what the actual writing areas of other Wacom users are.

sarac   February 7th, 2010 9:41a.m.

Hmmm, I never thought about changing the size of my writing area. However I like it the way it is, or maybe I'm just used to it. With my 5"x3.5" tablet I am using about a 1 inch square for the writing window. That seems large, compared to the size of character that I normally write on paper but it doesn't seem the least bit awkward. Maybe because the pen itself is a somewhat large it feels proportionately right to write larger.

As for settings, my preferred ones so far are:
CONTROL PANEL settings
press and hold - disabled
double tap - speed fast
- spatial tolerance small
flicks (at the suggestion of the wacom tech – I don’t know if makes a difference) - off
BAMBOO settings
pen tip feel - soft
double click distance - small

I have a light touch and this works for me, it woudl depend on your own style.

mcfarljw   February 7th, 2010 11:17a.m.

Turning off flicks is essential. If you don't and make a stroke to quickly it will move backwards or forwards in the browser.

Lurks   February 7th, 2010 4:11p.m.

Great tips, that press and hold thing was annoying me... I'm using about one quarter of the pad, then it actually feels like handwriting rather than drawing with a crayon :)

Has anyone tried one of those e-pens with Skritter? I don't see why they wouldn't work. Not having a pad at all would be pretty cool I think.

skritterjohan   February 8th, 2010 2:40p.m.

I have one of the smaller Wacom Bamboo pen tablets. It is rectangle sized as is my screen. I used the biggest square part within that rectangle to write in a square area on screen layed right over the skritter writing area. That gives me best resolution and it feels best or it might just be what I got used too.

I also had to change sensitivity to most sensitive.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!