Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Mandarin: Shaken not Stirred

JB   February 3rd, 2010 10:43a.m.

Hi Skritter friends. Probably most of you don't remember me, but I used skritter for a long time while it was in Beta, and then after. Due to burnout, life situations, etc, I fell off the horse and haven't been able to get back on (regarding skritter haha). I still love it and think it's great, and when my life gets back in order I will definitely continue using.

In the meantime I just wanted to let you guys know that my teacher in China and I started a learn chinese podcast. I know there are a ton of them out there, but hey, you can never have too much free education, right? Please check it out, and let your friends know about it! We already have several episodes recorded, and will be releasing one regular episode a week, as well as a "Chinese Pop Music" episode every week, with lyrics and vocabulary from hit songs in China.

To the Skritter staff, you guys are awesome, thanks for all your hard work, and I will be back when i can manage it!

http://mandarinshaken.com/

nick   February 3rd, 2010 11:21a.m.

I tweeted about this, too. I just love hearing Skritter users speak their Chinese. Perhaps it is a perverse fascination.

JB, you should come Skritter for two minutes a day. You know you want it. All the cool kids are doing it.

JB   February 3rd, 2010 11:37a.m.

Haha. Well I think I will actually! Maybe 3 minutes even!

JB   February 3rd, 2010 11:45a.m.

Oh, and thanks for tweeting! I am sadly lacking from twitter lately.

Will Buckingham   February 3rd, 2010 11:45a.m.

(Some of the uncool kids are doing it too)

Thanks for letting us know.
Will

west4east   February 3rd, 2010 2:58p.m.

Nice post! Thanks for the info, will definitely check it out. What part of China are you in? Anywhere close to Qingdao?

JB   February 4th, 2010 9:12a.m.

I'm actually not in China, I'm in Chinatown in Manhattan. But don't worry, I don't have a Fujianese or Cantonese accent! Wenwen is in Hengshui, which is a city a couple hours south of Beijing, in Hebei.

f4t4lb4z00k4   February 8th, 2010 8:07p.m.

I loved lesson 2! I actually like it better than ChinesePod. The fact that Chinese is being used predominantly and that the explanations are given in Chinese, by a native Chinese speaker, suit my style of learning better. Also I really liked the subject, something that is generally not covered in a typical Chinese class.

Great job!

JB   February 9th, 2010 11:07a.m.

Hey I'm glad you liked #2. Don't forget you can go to the site for a vocabulary list/transcript. And we're happy to answer any questions you might have!

And fyi everyone I am back using skritter daily. Woohoo.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!