Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Taxi Rank from Space!

jacekg   July 13th, 2010 2:44p.m.

Hi.

When skritter asks me for "taxi rank" it wants to see 磁悬浮站。

jacekg   July 13th, 2010 3:00p.m.

P.S.: "taxi rank" is wrong, not 磁悬浮站。

murrayjames   July 14th, 2010 8:23a.m.

Woh, taxi rank. What's the correct translation? Is it "Maglev station", as in the one at 上海浦东国际机场?

jww1066   July 14th, 2010 10:56a.m.

Sure looks like it: http://www.google.com/images?q= 磁悬浮站

nick   July 14th, 2010 12:28p.m.

Okay, I've fixed it. Looks like you created that word, jackeg, and it somehow got "taxi rank" in there. Perhaps there is another word that should have "taxi rank" and maybe accidentally got "Maglev station".

murrayjames   July 14th, 2010 12:59p.m.

I never heard of a taxi rank before. Where do people use this, England?

Byzanti   July 14th, 2010 1:09p.m.

Yep!

Presumably from rank and file.

jacekg   July 15th, 2010 4:54a.m.

Well, if i have created it and accidentally entered "taxi rank" instead of "maglev station" it was my own fault, of course. Sorry in that case.

"Rank": I am from Germany and don't differentiate very much between English and US-English vocabulary. Have never been in the US and only twice in GB. ;)

jww1066   July 15th, 2010 8:20a.m.

Yeah I had never heard of a "taxi rank" either (I'm American). I've always called it a "taxi stand".

James

Craig David   July 18th, 2010 4:52a.m.

Yep, taxi rank is commonly used in British English.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!