Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Skritter Crashes IE and Firefox

PerthDan   February 18th, 2010 12:15a.m.

Hi, the practice page is simply causing both IE and firefox to freeze on my Windows 7 system.

inchinabro   February 18th, 2010 2:56a.m.

not for me on win 7

nick   February 18th, 2010 8:56a.m.

What Flash player do you have installed? Try updating to the latest one? Or try getting a debugger Flash player to see what's going on?
http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

nbrosseau   February 18th, 2010 9:43a.m.

Hi, I got practise blocked on both IE and chrome for hours. worked perfectly well before.
Any idea?

Yolan   February 18th, 2010 10:19a.m.

I Perth Dan, I'm also a Dan, who lives in Perth, who uses skritter. Are you impersonating me? ;-)

nick   February 18th, 2010 11:47a.m.

PerthDan, nbrosseau: Does the Flash not load or does it actually crash your browser or tab? We haven't changed anything on the site for two-and-a-half days--did it work any time in the last two-and-a-half days or was it just before that that it worked? Are you in China? Can you do the demo or watch the learn more video?
http://www.skritte.com/demo
http://www.skritter.com/learn_more

Thanks for your help debugging this one; hope to get you guys back on line soon. I've given you an extra day on your subscription to make up for the lost time.

Grahameh   February 18th, 2010 5:36p.m.

My Firefox has been freezing lately and I didn't know why but it probably started about when I started using Skritter. It has been driving me mad. I was planning to get a new computer thinking it must be the computer. I'll try moving my writing tablet to another computer and not using Skritter on my desktop and see if the problem persists. This has been happening for over a month. It just seems to happen randomly. works fine for a while and then everything just freezes. I have to either shut down, which is sometimes difficult when frozen, or walk away for a while and let it sort itself out.

nick   February 18th, 2010 9:57p.m.

PerthDan and nbrosseau was the activated reading practice for Chinese before it was ready thing. I've gotten rid of it and am turning it off for everyone else who accidentally got cursed.

Grahameh, I'm not sure what's going on there. You're not on a Mac, are you? I'd recommend the debug Flash player.

Grahameh   February 21st, 2010 2:52a.m.

I am using XP. I tried my tablet with my Netbook and the wireless connection dropped out a couple of times and I had to click 'repair connection'. It has never happened before. Loss of internet connection is in fact what seemed to be happening on my desktop although that is plugged directly into the modem/router.
I can't be sure that Skritter is causing the problem.
What do you mean by 'debug Flash player'?

nick   February 21st, 2010 12:00p.m.

Oh, in that case I don't think that the debug Flash player is applicable. It sounds like another computing problem, although not sure what. Skritter is unlikely to cause those sorts of problems on Windows.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!