Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Bizarre tone

mjd   April 8th, 2010 6:45a.m.

Hi,

I took my eyes off the screen for a moment, to see something on my touchpad. After scribbling around for a few moments, I looked up to see the oddest tone:

http://imagebin.org/92186

Maybe I discovered Mandarin's secret sixth tone!

mcfarljw   April 8th, 2010 7:52a.m.

Have you heard the demonically possessed pronunciation of 冰 (bing1) yet? haha

nick   April 8th, 2010 8:30a.m.

Haha, that's great. I'd love to see some steps to reproduce!

I actually find that all those characters are really easy to remember, because I remember the BĪĪĪNG! Reminds me of First Tone as Foghorn: http://www.sinoglot.com/bjs/2008/02/where-not-to-look-for-beginning-mandarin-lessons/ (check the #1 place)

mjd   April 8th, 2010 8:54a.m.

@mcfarljw: Demonically possessed? LOL.

The way the lady says yǒu​ keeps giving me flashbacks of the sounds in Doom II. Oh my!

mcfarljw   April 8th, 2010 9:12a.m.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing and I will certainly never forget it, but when it plays at 7AM when I'm doing a quick review it gets the heart beating. Nick, I remember from a past conversation you even go out of the way to repeat it as loudly as possible haha.

jww1066   April 8th, 2010 10:50a.m.

@nick: When I go deaf I will send you the bill for my hearing aid.

That link is very entertaining, BTW.

James

mjd   April 10th, 2010 11:53p.m.

The man's voice for 保护 is very mellow, I wish we heard more of him.

Byzanti   April 11th, 2010 3:55a.m.

Try 利率. Sounds a bit synthasised, though...

nick   April 12th, 2010 10:37a.m.

While fixing it so that you can use the erase button on tones, I stumbled upon and beheaded the probable cause of this sixth tone stroke. Upload soon!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!