Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

free trial

K   March 27th, 2010 10:54a.m.

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to try a free trial without having to enter credit card details.

Byzanti   March 27th, 2010 11:13a.m.

Sadly there isn't.

I know it's not great to input your details for trials, but this is one site that's worth the bother.

dragonkeeper13   March 27th, 2010 11:23a.m.

Thanks

dragonkeeper13   March 27th, 2010 11:23a.m.

I signed up

george   March 27th, 2010 12:28p.m.

Hey Dragonkeeper, nice to see you stuck around. As someone that balked at the credit card requirement, I'm pretty curious, is there anything we could have done to make your decision easier/more clear? For instance, did you try out the demo prior to checking out the signup page? Did the "learn more" pages answer all your questions? Would it have been possible for us to make our value proposition more clear (not necessarily sales-y)?

Rest assured that we really do let you cancel your subscription at the click of a button, and there is no obligation for 2 weeks. Although we are experimenting with the credit card system, we're not into the whole upselling, spamming, hoop-jumping method of "customer retention."

Feel free to drop us a line any time if you have any further questions or suggestions, and I'm serious about the questions above, if you have thoughts let us know!

alien   March 29th, 2010 5:56p.m.

On the topic of "learn more" - is the video thing (I assume it's a video) supposed to work there? i tried on 2 different browsers (IE/ff) and on 2 different computers, all I get is a blank white box with a small pause button at the bottom, which turns into a black progress ribbon with a glowing thingie on mouseover... (and yes I did wait for a fairly long time, assuming some kind of preloading)

This wasn't really a huge confidence boost to enter creditcard details anywhere, if you know what i mean :P

The demo worked though and looked promising, which is why i got so far as to post here in the forum in spite of this.

nick   March 31st, 2010 8:55a.m.

That's worrisome; it should be working! I'm guessing you're not in China, so I shan't blame the Great Firewall.

I've been trying, but I can't reproduce the issue. Does anyone else see this? It's here:
http://www.skritter.com/learn_more

alien, can you access this link directly?
http://www.skritter.com/swfs/about.mp4

jcardenio   March 31st, 2010 12:14p.m.

I tried the link as a quick test - didn't seem to work for me. Looked fine as it was loading, but then never played.

(ff 3.6.2, windows)

nick   April 6th, 2010 1:42p.m.

Looks like we need to re-encode that video. For now, I've disabled it on Firefox where it doesn't work. George is about to redesign this page and ditch that video.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!