Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Japanese Proficiency?

ddapore99   March 17th, 2010 7:04p.m.

How would you rate your total Chinese proficiency? Did somebody forget about the Japanese students again? Before it was "Got a Chinese significant other?" So for a pick me up to all the Japanese student's feeling down now here is a quote from the song "Remember the Name".

This is 10% Luck
20% percent skill
15% percent concentrated power of will
5% percent pleasure
50% percent pain
and 100% percent reason to remember the name

I help it made your day a little better.

murrayjames   March 17th, 2010 7:30p.m.

ddapore99, I'm learning Chinese, but props to you and all the other Japanese learners here. I'm glad you guys are on Skritter. You should post on the forums more!

I have lots of friends learning Japanese, and I've always felt a kinship with people learning the language. Linguistically, at least, we're cousins. And if I wasn't learning 中文, I'd be learning 日本語 :-)

My guess is that Nick was the one who wrote the polls, since he's the resident Chinese expert (just like Scott is for Japanese). These are good guys, so I wouldn't take offense. I'm sure none was intended!

ddapore99   March 17th, 2010 7:48p.m.

I know they are good guys. I'm just hoping they will put a little more thought into the polls.

P.S. Sometimes I come off as a jerk when I post. I'm really trying to work on that.

Foo Choo Choon   March 17th, 2010 8:34p.m.

日本鬼子,倭寇

赶快滚

(开玩笑,别往心里去)

ddapore99   March 17th, 2010 9:35p.m.

murrayjames you are totally right; Japanese students and Chinese students are like cousins. I have meet some Japanese students who think Chinese is easier than English. With Chinese they don't have to learn how to spell. They already know the Kanji. However as 穆 points out Japanese and Chinese people can be like oil and water sometimes.

Due to Japanese just coming out of beta, I think the Chinese students out number the Japanese on this site. So most of the post come from Chinese students.

nick   March 17th, 2010 10:13p.m.

Sorry about that. This poll was originally written a long time ago, before Japanese was as functional--I just re-asked it without editing. You're right, though: I tend to forget that Japanese exists all the time!

Great song, by the way.

ddapore99   March 18th, 2010 12:18a.m.

That's okay. Glad you liked the song. It is connected to a movie that's special to me. It's in the trailer for the new Karate Kid movie but that's not my special movie. My special movie is the original movie I saw when I was a child. Watching it helped me become interested in Japan. Who knows maybe the new movie will get so kids interested in Chinese.

ddapore99   March 18th, 2010 12:26a.m.

I meant to say "some kids interested." I really need to get better at proof-reading what I type before I post.

ddapore99   March 18th, 2010 12:39a.m.

I also meant to say in my first post "I hope it made."

With English mistakes like those even I am amazed that I am able to make progress learning Japanese.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!