Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Spectator mode

mjd   March 3rd, 2010 10:53p.m.

Hello,

Several people who've seen me using Skritter say it's mesmerising to watch someone write characters. What I'd really like (and Xmas is so far away!) is a back-seat mode, so I can set people (friends near and far) up with a URL whereby they can watch me skrittering.

Doesn't have to be the skritter user's strokes, could be the formal strokes, but paced to when the skritter user is entering them...

Would make great eye candy!

nick   March 3rd, 2010 11:18p.m.

This would require a lot of work, unless I'm missing some trick. If we did it, we could do some very cool things, but how would we do it? Hmm. I will think on it. Depending on we did it, it might be the same as a multiplayer mode.

Regardless, it's probably not high priority due to the difficulty.

mjd   March 4th, 2010 12:52a.m.

I understand about the priority. I'm thinking of some kind of "read-only" slaved mode. Also, as well as being a wonderfully cosmic screen-saver, teachers could use it to see how their students are going.

murrayjames   March 4th, 2010 1:48a.m.

Nick, you've talked about Skritter being inspired by the Nintendo DS. So yeah, why not have a Skritter versus mode? Think Dr. Mario time trial... if you went real fast you could remove squigs from your opponent's screen, or add extra words to their queue...

Multiplayer gaming at its finest!

Shisoik   March 4th, 2010 3:21a.m.

How about a multiplayer game where you can beat others by wrinting certain set of chars quicker than the opponents? Or being quickest in going through randomly selected chars from HSK1,2...

beaubeau   March 4th, 2010 5:27a.m.

I love all of these "game" ideas. For me i did my best on skritter when i had some friendly competition. Really helped with diligence.

dert   March 4th, 2010 10:14a.m.

I've been thinking along these lines lately... I'm not sure how many could watch at one time, but on Skype one can share a portion of the screen as a video feed. I've used this to show people how it works, my mistakes included.

AdmOxalate   March 4th, 2010 1:52p.m.

The game idea would be quite cool. Google has some cool games like name the location on google earth, or playing against someone else to tag a photo. Of course they are also in many cases getting you to have fun doing their work for them.

smhon   March 5th, 2010 3:55a.m.

Have you tried the GWT set of tools released by Google or the Wave sessions which do allow concurrency on a character by character mode?

I've not tried coding with these but reckon the core code is there if it can produce the wave

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!