Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Random Trivia

taiwanshaun   April 13th, 2010 12:12a.m.

I like the random tidbits that are sometimes shown at the bottom of the screen when I'm practicing, (eg The original name of the Starship Enterprise was the Yorktown), but it'd be even cooler if you had an option to receive those tidbits in the language that you are studying. They don't have to be personalized for that person's study level, although I suppose they could. It would just be a nice way to be even more immersed in the language.

Thanks!
Taiwan Shaun

ulyart   April 13th, 2010 4:56a.m.

well, to carry the idea even further, it would be great to get a sentence in the target language that includes the word currently being studied.

This would allow us to learn the word with a context, as well as expose us to good Chinese (or Japanese) syntax and grammar.

It could be displayed unobtrusively, so that those who don't want to read it don't have to, and so that even those who want to read it can do it in an almost subliminal way.

My intuition tells me that even such an unobtrusive exposure would multiply our word retention, language comprehension and sentence production skills in the long run.

I don't know if there's a ready source of such sentences on the Internet. This might be something we users can contribute to, in the way that user-contributed word definitions may be in the works.

葛修远   April 13th, 2010 8:00a.m.

I'm not sure of the quality of sentences this would produce, but it could just search Google for the vocabulary items, then pull out sentences from the results. This would provide almost limitless example material.

Byzanti   April 13th, 2010 8:04a.m.

When the time comes that Skritter has example sentences, I'd love it to be able to search through my Anki deck (or export this, etc) to find sentences using the particular word.

雅各   April 14th, 2010 2:30a.m.

There is an excellent source of sample sentences. You just google for movie/tv subtitles websites and download thousands of subtitles text files. (:

The only catch is converting them into something useful is not straight forward, often the subtitles go over several sections ie.... "bob something... ... then something"

It is difficult to put these lines back together because subtitles generally dont have useful punctuation.

See my TV words study list for an example of what you can do with this data:
http://www.skritter.com/vocab/tags?tag=most-common

taiwanshaun   April 14th, 2010 5:12a.m.

Could also retrieve from various translations of wikipedia.org (eg zh.wikipedia.org, etc)? They expose the API for this sort of thing anyway. Ton of material there, definitely.

digilypse   April 14th, 2010 8:45p.m.

I've posted this before but www.engkoo.com is a great source for sample sentences, even if it's intended more for chinese speakers translating english.

雅各   April 14th, 2010 9:24p.m.

The wikipedia one is a good example! My only concern about wikipedia as a source of sample sentences is that it is probably more formal. Depends on if you want sample sentences that represent conversation, or technical writing.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!