Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

order strictness

maci   March 23rd, 2010 12:58p.m.

i have set the order strictness to the highest possible value.

yet in some situations it seems to ignore that ..
for example in the 女 part of 好. it doesnt matter if i write topmost line first or the horizontal one, it shows both as correct. but when i check mdbg it gives me a specific order.
why is that?
are there just multiple correct ways (i doubt it) ??

jww1066   March 23rd, 2010 1:34p.m.

I think the order for the 女 radical is flexible on purpose: either the horizontal stroke first or the down-left-then-down-right stroke first.

James

maci   March 23rd, 2010 1:42p.m.

i see.. well i will ask my 老师 on thursday.

jww1066   March 23rd, 2010 2:40p.m.

No, I mean Skritter makes it flexible on purpose; see

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=9734886&comments=27

James

maci   March 23rd, 2010 3:07p.m.

thanks for the link :)

imho that should be an option.
i want to learn the order as correct as possible.

jww1066   March 23rd, 2010 3:18p.m.

Ehh, I felt the same way. I actually had first learned it the "easy way" from Skritter, and when I found out that it wasn't the orthodox order I decided I had to relearn it, and started to mark myself wrong when I used the "easy" way. It took less time than I thought.

James

maci   March 26th, 2010 9:12a.m.

are there any plans to make this an option ?

nick   March 26th, 2010 10:43a.m.

Most of the alternate orders we support are each standard in some way (different authorities and resources will give each of them). The nonstandard ones are the writing shortcuts such as writing 口, 廴, 阝, 之, and 纟 in two strokes instead of three, 及 in three instead of four, , 辶 in two or three instead of four (which we actually don't support at all, oops), combining the first two strokes in 斤- and 卯-style components, 了 in one instead of two, and 女 radicals (when on the side) in two instead of three. Allowing horizontal-first for 女 is perhaps one of the least defensible ones, but I, along with several others I know, cannot get it to look good on paper when doing it with the standard order, so it's in.

Sorry--it'd be too much work to make different stroke order rule preferences, so it's going to be flexible instead of strict.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!