Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Simple text book question

west316   April 20th, 2010 5:23a.m.

Two easy questions in regards to the text book section:

Question 1: A while back it was said we needed to notify the developers whenever a complete textbook was eligible for promotion to the text book section. Should we send an email to that skritter email account we receive messages from, to another account, or post a comment here?

Question 2: Are only the more popular text books important? For example, I just finished two text book from the rather popular, in Beijing anyway, Short Term Spoken Chinese series, #3 and 4. I still have one more of that series to do, however I also plan on uploading two other textbooks. Those other two sure are really obscure. I can't imagine they will be that useful.

I found the text book section useful when starting getting my skritter account to reflect my actual knowledge. Before I just publish the lists I thought I should ask first.

nick   April 20th, 2010 8:02a.m.

Email me: nick@skritter...

The more the better for textbooks. We've got some really obscure ones in there and people have actually asked us, "Where can I find this book? I want to study it!"

west316   April 20th, 2010 9:02a.m.

Alrighty. I will be sure to let you know as I go uploading everything I have.

Hobbes828   April 21st, 2010 2:29a.m.

Also if it is the same Short-term Spoken Chinese that I studied, books 1-3 are already in the textbook section. (threshold 1,2 is one list and elementary is another).

I really wish someone had a "Taiwan Today" list. Can't find one even in another format on the internet, and my laziness level is too high to type it all in myself (esp. since I would probably just add the words I want to learn).

west316   April 21st, 2010 3:43a.m.

I looked before typing up number three and didn't find it... Well crap. I didn't realize the first one was both of the green books and the second entry was the blue book. That was a wasted 3 hours.

Oh well. Now that I feel silly, at least I don't see 4 or 5 on the list.

nick   April 21st, 2010 8:20a.m.

Oh! Thanks for the clarification, Hobbes828. I didn't even know that myself. Maybe I should split those out, or combine them together.

Is Taiwan Today a popular book? We could maybe do something with it.

Hobbes828   April 21st, 2010 11:26p.m.

Apparently it is not popular enough for anyone to have made a vocab list for it online, ever :)

I think a few schools use it in the US and possibly Taiwan, though I'm probably the only one using it in the Mainland (it does have simplified characters for almost everything alongside the traditional).

The best I could find is most of the chapters are on flashcardexchange.com but it is a pain to copy and paste them because of the weird formatting and I think you have to be a paid member to export them in a useful format. I'm on chapter 12/14 now and I'm just getting my Skritter queue back down to 0 after a month off :( so I might just kick my butt into gear and add them as my next phase of things to study.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!