Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

I hear voices . . .

podster   April 3rd, 2010 11:53a.m.

When Skritter loads new words in the background I can hear them being pronounced at low volume. A minor distraction, and I only seem to notice it when I am wearing my headphones. I suppose it is using up some computing resources, perhaps inefficiently too. Or have I stumbled upon the "subliminal learning" mode? I love Skritter. I need Skritter. Must have more Skritter . . .

Anyone else notice this?

ximeng   April 3rd, 2010 11:59a.m.

http://www.skritter.com/forum/topic?id=5677415

Flash bug workaround, apparently. It's audible especially with headphones, but not too distracting once you get used to it.

podster   April 3rd, 2010 12:17p.m.

Thanks, ximeng. Mystery solved.

murrayjames   April 3rd, 2010 5:53p.m.

Yes, it's the Ghost in the machine. This spectre is especially fond of slow internet connections.

Over the years I've come to regard him as a friend...

贺知宝   July 24th, 2010 9:45p.m.

THANK GOD. I thought I was losing my mind

nick   July 25th, 2010 10:18p.m.

Now that everyone is on Flash 10.1, it might be time to revisit this and see if I can make them any quieter without killing them off.

Then again, I would no longer get the perverse glee I feel whenever this comes up on the forum...

jcardenio   July 25th, 2010 10:21p.m.

Skritter creators... or mad geniuses?

I know I thought I was losing my mind...

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!