Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Still miss the old cram list style...

Chris D.   March 25th, 2010 8:20p.m.

Maybe it's just me? But I feel that the algorithm used to select which character to bring up next is not optimal (for me anyway). It seems it just repeats over a small set of characters in a section and barely, if at all, reviews others. I strongly prefer the old cram list style where I could either go through the list in order if I wanted to or I could completely randomize the order (but still go through one-by-one until all characters were reviewed). Is there no way let people who enjoy using the character selection algorithm to keep using it but also allow people who don't want to use it to go through the list in a linear fashion (both ordered and random)?

nick   March 25th, 2010 9:31p.m.

Unless you're getting them wrong, it should be less prone to repeat characters you've already done in a session and more inclined to pull out the old ones.

I actually changed the scheduling slightly so that this would happen and you'd be able to see all your words when studying a section, unless you'd reviewed them recently and they were scheduled far off. I will increase it when in sect mode so that emphasizes older words a lot more.

I'm not going to bring back the old cram, as it was a big pain for me to code and it never fully worked right (very buggy). Better to make this section study mode work better for you. Would it do if you could see each word at least once a day before you got many repeats of ones that you'd gotten right?

Chris D.   March 25th, 2010 9:38p.m.

Sure, anything that reduces the amount of repeats for the characters that I've gotten correct would be an improvement. Thanks!

katherine   March 25th, 2010 11:53p.m.

Quick thought/suggestion:
I know you just said the old one was buggy, and I totally get that, but would it be possible to still have some sort of delete key on the characters on the "cram list" )I guess they're not really cram lists anymore...) so that we can get rid of the characters we know absolutely for sure?
Thanks!

nick   March 26th, 2010 10:21a.m.

You can delete them from your study totally if you know them absolutely for sure, using the delete button in the lookup menu (magnifying glass). But that's an even more extreme deletion.

If you're practicing a section and you hit "4" on one of these guys, you probably won't see it again during that section practice unless you keep practicing a long time. That should be quicker than a separate delete key.

Am I understanding the use case correctly?

podster   March 27th, 2010 12:32a.m.

If I add a word by clicking the Skritter icon on its row in the MDBG dictionary or by dragging and dropping to the bookmark tab, where does the word go? Straight to queue? It would be nice if it went to some sort of catch-all bin, from which we could later sort it into relevant lists, as necessary.

nick   March 27th, 2010 9:08a.m.

Straight to the queue. I don't know about a catch-all bin, but what if it went to a specific MDBG list instead? Alternatively, you'll soon be able to see all words in your queue, past and present, so you'd be able to grab them even after they've been added and put them into lists. (You'd use copy and paste, though, not some sort of list-item transferring feature.)

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!