Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Gnash (free flash) doesn't work

mjd   March 21st, 2010 5:59p.m.

Hello,

In order to try to get a system running totally free software, I tried out the GNU "gnash" flash player, instead of the Adobe flash player.

http://lwn.net/Articles/378073/

My other motivation is that I want to run the 64-bit version of Linux, and running Skritter under gnash would avoid the horrible hacks necessary to get the 32-bit Adobe flash player to work under 64-bit Linux.

While I can log in and see my statistics with gnash, the character entry area of the Skritter practice page fails to display.

Any debug information I can give you that would help Skritter work under gnash? Alternatively, what information can I give the gnash people so gnash supports Skritter?

Byzanti   March 21st, 2010 6:29p.m.

I'm also strongly of the opinion that Skritter should work with Lynx on my 486.

到底尼克就是超人!

Love

Byzanti

nick   March 21st, 2010 8:44p.m.

I can't find a good list of features Gnash is behind on, but judging from its report of being compatible with Flash 7 SWFs, with some features from 8 and 9, and us requiring Flash 10, I think it's not going to happen any time soon, unfortunately.

You could try the alpha of 64-bit Flash 10 for Linux:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html
I don't know anything about it or how well it will work, but at least it should be easier to install.

Read the linked article--none of the Gnash team have ever used Flash Player! (So that they can legally work on reimplementing it.) That's amazing.

mjd   March 22nd, 2010 9:11a.m.

Thanks Nick.

Zach   March 22nd, 2010 1:36p.m.

For whatever it's worth, the stable version of Flash 10 was released for 64-bit Linux a while ago.

If you want the 10.1 beta, you still need to wrap it, but 10.0 works well enough (which, under Linux, is pretty bad. But still.)

maci   March 22nd, 2010 7:18p.m.

tried swfdec yet?

maci   March 22nd, 2010 7:24p.m.

nvm, just tried it, doesnt work. too bad.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!