Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

体育 vs. 运动

SGRuixue   January 14th, 2011 7:21p.m.

Does anyone know the functional difference between these two words? Is there any?

west316   January 14th, 2011 7:56p.m.

If I remember correctly, 体育 is physical activity as in Phys. Ed. class. 体育馆 is a gymnasium. (Note: the gym you go to to work out is called a 健身房.) 运动 is just a physical activity in the more general sense.

SGRuixue   January 14th, 2011 8:09p.m.

If I wanted to ask the simple question, what kind of sport/ activity do you like (to play) how would I ask that. 你喜欢什么体育? 你喜欢什么运动?? neither seems right.

Byzanti   January 14th, 2011 11:03p.m.

What west said. But 运动 is also the best translation for sport. Your second sentence is fine.

蓓蕾   January 15th, 2011 8:06a.m.

I think the second sentence is fine. I might say 你喜欢什么样的运动?

pts   January 15th, 2011 9:19a.m.

运动 is sport. 体育 is one of the five sectors of education (五育), which are namely 德育、智育、体育、群育、美育 (moral, intellectual, physical, social and aesthetic education). 体育 can also be extended to refer to all the activities involved in physical education.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!