Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Japanese sound

Mandarinboy   July 18th, 2010 8:07p.m.

Even though Japanese pronunciation is so much easier than Chinese it would still be great to have the Japanese pronunciation for each kanji, preferable with all the alternative pronunciations as well. As a native Swede I still do not have full flow in listening/pronunciation Japanese. Also, it would be great to also be able to view both the Japanese and Chinese reading/sound on the same page. A long term improvement suggestion maybe? For total newbie’s it would also be nice to have lists for both kana.

Mandarinboy   July 18th, 2010 8:55p.m.

Hm, I where just adding Kana to a custom list since we are a few here at the office studying that too. One problem is then when I try to add e.g. きゃ that is not in the Skritter dictionary. How can I add such kana? How can I change the definition for the words i Add? Some of the definitions in the dictionary states things such as as rare kanji instead of the actual sound of the kana.

Patrick G   July 19th, 2010 5:43p.m.

Hi Mandarinboy,

I'm interning at Skritter this summer and I'm currently organizing the recording of Japanese sound clips. They should be up for study sometime in the early fall months (Sept/Oct) at the latest.

As for your problems with kana, Skritter's libraries only support the study of Hanzi and Kanji. Sorry but Hiragana and Katakana are not supported.

Thanks for your concern and suggestions!

murrayjames   July 19th, 2010 9:17p.m.

Gilfunkel, does Skritter support Kana reading/definition practice?

scott   July 20th, 2010 2:55p.m.

It does support reading and definition practice for words without any kanji in them.

As for kana practice, we can technically do reading and definition practice for those. I just threw together a hiragana list and tried cramming it, where all words were simply something like:

reading あ, definition "a"

The problem with this is that when it asks you for the definition, it's actually asking for the pronunciation. And when it's asking for the reading, it's actually asking for the writing. So the prompts are very confusing when you do it this way. I was thinking set those vocabs to be handled specially, letting you only practice one mode (show kana, prompt for pronunciation, call it reading practice). Both Nick and I will have to work on that and we both have a lot to do, so it may be a while before we set up that special study mode, as useful as it will be.

Or I could publish a hiragana and katakana list and just let people be confused when the prompting is all wrong until the special kana mode is built?

Whoops, looks like the list editor widget doesn't let you add words if no results were found for the reading given. I'll fix that.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!