Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

In case you had any doubts that 汉字 were really necessary...

digilypse   March 9th, 2010 10:24a.m.

...well, here's a story made up entirely of "shi". Good luck understanding the pinyin version! Read carefully - it does make sense!

石室诗士施氏,嗜食狮,誓食十狮。适施氏时时适市视狮。十时,适十狮适市。是时,适施氏适市。氏视是十狮,恃矢势,使是十狮逝世。氏拾是十狮尸,适石室。石室湿,氏使侍拭石室。石室拭,氏始试食是十狮尸。食时,始识是十狮尸,实十石狮尸。试释是事。
(source,explanation and background: http://baike.baidu.com/view/19225.htm)

Anyone have similar examples of weird/interesting pieces of writing?

mutoidman   March 9th, 2010 12:41p.m.

I've already made it a milestone for when I'm able to read this passage :)

grahaml   March 9th, 2010 1:32p.m.

Try this site www.yellowbridge.com/onlinelit/stonelion.php
which I think is the same story but with pinyin and Enlish alongside the Chinese. When I first read this and found 45 characters for shi in my dictionary I despaired. Then Wenlin gives me choice of 140 shi's! Bit this pales into insignificance alongside ji (262) or even li (172) - it's probably best to pretend you don't know...

lennier61   March 9th, 2010 2:53p.m.

Great! many thanks! My son really enjoyed that.

Tortue   March 11th, 2010 2:25a.m.

Very interesting!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!