Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Smart's guide to Skritter

hicri   January 30th, 2011 12:56p.m.

If we can learn things fast (or we really have to), how can we accomplish adding new words quickly?
I have to learn really fast and I cannot configure skritter so that it pushes me to my limits.
Help please...

Foo Choo Choon   January 30th, 2011 2:02p.m.

--> Study settings: http://www.skritter.com/account/settings-study

--> Change "Add Word Frequency" to Fast

Alternatively: add words manually by clicking on the (+) button above the study panel, provided you have items ready in your queue or in (an) active list(s)

蓓蕾   January 31st, 2011 1:39a.m.

When I really need to add things quickly, I resort to adding words manually.

This is also the case if you have a large review queue (the blue bar has hundreds of items in it). If you have many many items to review, even if your "Add Word Frequencey" is fast, it won't really add them in. Adding them manually is the way to go.

The other way, if you have a large review queue and you really need to add and study new vocab, is to make a new list with just those words and select "Study a Single Vocab list". I just had this situation for an intense language program - 60 new words a day, with dictation - and I could usually add all the new words I needed in about 30-40 minutes of studying.

So study a single vocab list, press the manual add word button.

granuaille   January 31st, 2011 11:52a.m.

I can't learn that fast just using Skritter although it is helpful - very helpful and the tracking helps, too. I change things up when I am studying a list by using Golden Bridge's matching game and flashcards. I set the flashcards to voice on one side and try to write the translation, pinyin & character down. If I miss on anything, I mark it as wrong and write the stuff out a few times - not as many as a native Chinese teacher might with school children - but enough to help engrave it in my memory.
When I am really fed up or my wrists are really sore, I play the matching game which is another way of tackling the problem - probably not as effective but helpful. I always end up back on Skritter and it keeps track of my progress; this is really helpful in making sure I have mastered a unit's vocabulary.
BTW the writing tablets DO make a difference! My son gave me his old WACOM and I have been able to go back to knitting as well as studying Chinese. I thought it was going to be one or the other. Well worth the money!

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!