Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

A way of altering the frequency with which new words appear?

FiKay   July 14th, 2010 9:25a.m.

I was wondering whether anyone knew if there is a way to alter the frequency that new words appear on your Skritter practice page?

The words I know and get right first time seem to constantly appear but the words I don't know, either the tone, definition or how to write come up much less often. I look through my list and some words haven't come up at all, even after an hour's practice.
I've started deleting words I know out of my lists but is there a way to make words in a list a little bit more random, just so you get the chance to practice them all with repetition?

FatDragon   July 14th, 2010 11:27a.m.

One idea would be to cram the entire list so that everything gets started, and then doing regular practice, in which case the new items will sort themselves out in terms of frequency as you get things right or wrong.

Another idea would be to cram the list and star anything that you feel like you need to study more, and then study the starred words list.

Perhaps the best solution, though, is to simply allow Skritter to add the words at the pace it adds them on its own. You can alter that pace in one of the options menus (I think it's under the 'account' tab) if it feels too slow or too fast.

It's possible that some of the words that "haven't come up at all" are words that have come up but you've missed them so their recognition indicators are still pure white. If that's the case, they should ramp up the frequency as you study them more.

jww1066   July 14th, 2010 11:50a.m.

Yeah cramming is a great way to focus your practice if you're impatient for new stuff. You can also use the scratch pad to focus on a few at a time. When I'm adding lots of new words I like to cram the list section by section, although this tends to build up a huge review queue a few days later, which is why I now have 1,700 items due...

I wouldn't delete items you know, only items you're sure you don't want to study. I generally only delete rare/archaic stuff and personal names that I'm not interested in. Instead you can click "too easy" and that'll shoot those items further out into the future.

James

nick   July 14th, 2010 12:40p.m.

The reason you're probably not seeing some of the ones you got wrong is that you got multiple parts ready and it doesn't want to give you the definition of something right after you practiced the writing of it (because it'd help give it away). So instead, Skritter tries to space it out, essentially waiting until you've learned the writing a bit better before starting you on the definition again. (It doesn't always work very well, and that's a bug I have yet to fix).

The other advice above is good. I wonder, could you give me a couple good examples of words where you think the scheduling is especially whack so I can take a look and see what's going on?

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!