Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

add definition flashcards

dorritg   February 24th, 2010 6:21p.m.

Is there any plan to add full-featured definition flashcards to Skritter? I love the character-writing, and Skritter has by far the best custom word-list feature of any tool I've ever used, but unfortunately, it's not much use when it comes to learning meanings of words. I'd love to see a more full-featured flashcard system (a la lingt) that uses the same method of increasing delays between repetitions as you get more familiar with a word but that tests ability to read, listen, speak and write pinyin as well as to write.

Byzanti   February 24th, 2010 7:45p.m.

Skritter can do a lot. If you enable the 'hide readings' option, it'll only prompt you with English for words (pinyin hidden until the first character is written).

This is great for learning words/meanings etc.

Reading (of characters, words) can also be tested by enabling definition prompts, if you haven't already...

Full audio would be nice though.

nick   February 24th, 2010 9:35p.m.

I'm working on adding the active reading practice, where you'll type the pinyin to actively recall it. Once that's in, though, there aren't any immediate plans to add more modes, apart from perhaps allowing voice input for tones once Flash 10.1 penetrates.

I will be adding some more audio files shortly, though. Not all, but should give a bit more diversity.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!