Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

lagging

贺知宝   July 20th, 2010 2:11p.m.

I have noticed that the software often lags when I am in the middle of a character, which results in either not registering my stroke or distorting my stroke.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Byzanti   July 20th, 2010 7:40p.m.

Try using a faster browser. Chrome is generally good (I find the older versions, particularly v4.x best for Skritter).

jww1066   July 20th, 2010 10:20p.m.

What operating system and browser are you using? What version is your Flash plugin? You might try updating it.

If there are any CPU-heavy programs running on your computer, they can interfere with the handwriting recognition. You can use Task Manager to check if you're running Windows, Activity Monitor if you're running Mac. If you're running Linux or some other OS you probably already know how.

James

贺知宝   July 20th, 2010 11:34p.m.

Thanks guys. I am running Flash player 10.1.53 on Windows 7. I tend to use Firefox or IE. I am not sure about cpu-heavy programs... Task manager shows that I have no other applications open.

jww1066   July 20th, 2010 11:38p.m.

If you look in Task Manager's "Performance" tab you can see your CPU and memory usage, and if you go to the "Processes" tab you can sort by CPU and memory usage.

I would also experiment with Chrome, as Byzanti suggested.

James

Rolands   July 21st, 2010 3:41a.m.

@ Pharchik,

I had similar issues with Firefox, especially weird is a situation, when Outlook Express are open. then it get's slowed even more. That happens on my not-high-end-at-all notebook Asus eepc. However, after switching to Chrome, all was solved. Panacea :)

skritterjohan   July 21st, 2010 8:54a.m.

I also have this issue with Firefox. When I write too fast, sometimes strokes are not recognized and I need to write them again. As it usually happens much more in the weekends I kind of blamed extra latency because of more internet usage by others. But I am not 100% sure that's the case. It would be nice if it did not happen though as it does slow me down a bit at those times.

nick   July 21st, 2010 10:23a.m.

I have seen garbage collection bugs that make Skritter do this in Firefox. It's worse if Gmail or other JS-heavy sites are open in another tab. Some incarnations of Firefox seem not to do it.

IE will likely be much slower than the others.

Chrome is the best for most people. You can also install Google Chrome Frame into IE and not have to add another browser; it will make Skritter run like it's on Chrome while not touching the behavior of your other websites. (If you wanted to stick with IE for some reason.)

贺知宝   July 21st, 2010 12:34p.m.

Thanks everyone. The lagging problem appears to be fixed. Unfortunately I have a new problem now. When i put the mouse over the canvas I now see both the cursor and the ink blot. I prefer just seeing the ink blot.

Thanks,

Byzanti   July 21st, 2010 12:43p.m.

Yeah, chrome does that. But it's fast enough that it doesn't bother me. I had forgotten about it!

Rolands   July 22nd, 2010 2:33a.m.

Pharchik

this annoyed me only for few hours, after I switched from FF go Chrome. It feels so smooth and fast after FF, that you will forget it soon.

贺知宝   July 22nd, 2010 3:12a.m.

Agreed. It is SO much smoother on Chrome. While it would be nice to not have the cursor, I can't really complain.

Rolands   July 22nd, 2010 5:10a.m.

I think that for Skritter gods it's worth to concern put somewhere at the page where new users sign up note that they will have best results if used with Chrome. Because some users would blame website, not browser and then not go further for paid service and just cease at demo stage.

nick   July 24th, 2010 9:20a.m.

That's a good idea. I will add to my list a message that appears the first time that the Flash window detects it's running choppily to suggest performance improvements (like using Chrome).

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!