Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

minor forum complaint

jww1066   April 1st, 2010 9:35a.m.

I like to check "email me when people reply" on forum threads, but I find it a little strange that it also emails me when *I* reply. I would have imagined it would notice that I am me and so I don't need to be notified of my own comment.

James

nick   April 1st, 2010 9:49a.m.

I forget why I did that. Probably because I was ensorcelled by the glow flickering from my barely submerged dreams while coding this late at night.

I have changed it, to be uploaded today.

jww1066   April 1st, 2010 9:57a.m.

非常好!

klutz14159   April 1st, 2010 7:32p.m.

Alright, this language thing has gone too far. The last time I heard someone use 'ensorcelled' was in Les contes d'Hoffman by Jacques Offenbach which was nowhere near recognizable as English.

Heck, even the forum Javascript marks 'ensorcelled' as a typo...

Trip to France do your brain in a little? :-)

Byzanti   April 1st, 2010 7:41p.m.

klutz: Wasn't that the one with the draw the dots puzzle on the second to last page?

george_p_7   April 1st, 2010 8:48p.m.

Unrelated, but still concerning the forums:
Is it possible to have the ordering of posts default to 'last updated'? Or perhaps keep the user's preference from last time?

Nicki   April 1st, 2010 9:38p.m.

10 points to Nick for excellent use of obscure vocabulary.

jww1066   April 2nd, 2010 12:48a.m.

Not obscure at all. You people need to read more books.

nick   April 2nd, 2010 10:04a.m.

You can read a ton of books and not come across "ensorcelled", but you can't read hundreds of swords 'n sorcery novels when you're a kid and not be forgiven for thinking it's a perfectly normal word.

Now if'n I this abstruse manner of blackly fuliginous riddling reconditeness oft fain spoke withal, sans compunction or expiatory philological aperitifs thereunto appertaining, then a body mightn't look askance if a petifogger tendered a soupçon of obloquy and besought me to use no art at all.

Tove   April 2nd, 2010 2:52p.m.

Not a native English speaker, I had a hard time understanding that one. :-)

But actually, I wanted to write something else: In some other fora (forums?) I use, in the main forum page you can see how many new replies that have been added to each thread since you read it the last time. Also, you can choose to enter the thread at the latest reply you read.

I think that this is perfect. E-mails are in this way unnecessary. Is it hard to do?

jww1066   April 2nd, 2010 3:06p.m.

@Tove: "fora" is correct, but old-fashioned nowadays. "Forums" is becoming more acceptable.

I like the email feature because then I can more easily keep up with interesting threads (via phone for example).

James

Tove   April 3rd, 2010 6:04a.m.

OK, I can see that this is useful.

But my main point is not really to dislike the email feature, but to get a better overview of the forum, and also not to have to scan through old messages you have already seen.

nick   April 3rd, 2010 8:47a.m.

Yes, it is hard to do (on an App Engine-like database). Sorry!

We could probably save a preference for last-updated george_p_7, yes. Good idea. Let me put that on my list.

nick   April 6th, 2010 5:38p.m.

Okay, the forum should be saving your order preferences now.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!