Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

skritter behind a proxy

maci   March 19th, 2010 6:56a.m.

hey there, having problems to get skritter running behind a proxy

when it asks me for the definition it does not show the character in the skritter input field
same for the pinyin practice.

Nicki   March 19th, 2010 7:18a.m.

Working ok for me with Freedur VPN.

nick   March 19th, 2010 11:17a.m.

That's the only thing, is that the definition and pinyin practice doesn't show the big character prompt at the top in the Flash window? And this happens behind your proxy, but not when it's not behind a proxy? (Please correct me if I misunderstand.)

What browser/OS/Flash version do you have, and do you have any Chinese fonts like KaiTi, Microsoft YaHei, Meiryo, Simsun, or Arial Unicode MS?

(As far as I know, you shouldn't need a proxy to access it from China, if that's what you're doing, and www.skritter.cn may be faster than www.skritter.com from there.)

maci   March 19th, 2010 12:57p.m.

the big characters do not show up

im using latest FF, latest Flash on archlinux..
works fine @home w/o a http-proxy
but at work it doesnt

nick   March 19th, 2010 4:22p.m.

I can't think of anything. Displaying those characters should not be network-related at all.

When's the last time it worked at home? I may have changed something with those fonts last night. Try installing this font if you haven't, or uninstalling it if you have?
http://www.skritter.com/misc/simkai.zip

maci   March 20th, 2010 4:57a.m.

depending on how you load the font into the flash plugin this could as well be network related.
iirc the flash plugin's socket functions do not always play well when using a proxy.

as i said, it works fine with the very same machine at home but does not at my work where i have to use a http proxy

marchey   March 20th, 2010 7:57a.m.

Is that on the same computer (laptop?) Probably not. I have been using skritter in several different environments, also behind a proxy server. Should work without problem. If you use a different computer at work the problem may be related to fonts.

nick   March 20th, 2010 8:28a.m.

We don't do any font loading in the Flash; it uses whatever's installed on the local machine. Something else must be going on.

Try the debug Flash player, or the beta Flash player 10.1, or another browser, or the above font suggestion... I can't think of much else. If none of that turns up anything, I'll try adding some special cases for you.

maci   March 22nd, 2010 2:56p.m.

sorry, was busy lately
will try it again tomorow

maci   March 22nd, 2010 2:57p.m.

ahh yeah forgot to mention..

on another computer where i run wintoons and do _not_ have support for chinese fonts installed the characters in the flash plugin display just fine.

maci   March 23rd, 2010 10:47a.m.

ok, checked it again. it is indeed not a problem with the proxy but something else.

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/43/screenshot1wp.png

but as you can see i do have a chinese font installed (ttf-arphic-uming)

now i also see the same behaviour on another machine on which skritter worked fine before :/ im using firefox 3.6 on both and latest flashplugin too

nick   March 23rd, 2010 11:24a.m.

Let me try adding that font to our font stack and see if it resolves the issue. I've got it so that it will email me with your font details when you practice.

maci   March 23rd, 2010 1:00p.m.

oh, i was now on a different laptop. with ttf-arphic-ukai installed

maybe i should install this font on my other boxes too. lemme switch fonts here and give it a try

maci   March 23rd, 2010 1:02p.m.

ok, that seems to be the issue
the ttf-arphic-uming font
ttf-arphic-ukai works fine

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!