Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Different writings of 真

Shisoik   February 4th, 2010 9:21p.m.

I am styding simplified Chinese chars. I've noticed that Skritter teaches me to write 真 like this: 眞. My wife, who is Chinese and a linguist, says that's an old writing. So I guess it is better to stick with 真 writing instead. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Hobbes828   February 4th, 2010 9:42p.m.

that's strange... I'm pretty sure Skritter prompts me with 真.

Is it possible you accidentally added it manually or from a list where it was entered traditionally?

In fact, I was wondering about that in general, is it currently possible to add traditional characters either accidentally or intentionally if you have chosen to add "simplified" from the account options.

nick   February 4th, 2010 10:39p.m.

You can't, no. You can put them into scratchpad and maybe cram, but it will convert whatever form you put in into what you're studying. Unless you put it into the queue, and then it takes whatever form you put in, but won't add it unless you're studying that form.

For 真, is it in definition practice that you see 眞? It's possible that you could see that if Skritter picked the wrong font. But font issues shouldn't affect writing practice.

Shisoik   February 5th, 2010 3:00a.m.

I saw it in writing practice. What is interesting, after writing it, I saw 真 in the part of screen where the pronunciation and meanings are explained.

BTW, later today I was writing this char again and it was 真 this time. Did you guys change anything?

chiafangt   February 5th, 2010 4:51a.m.

Just a side talk, the traditional version of 真 is 真too. The 眞 is a variation of 真 that no one uses any more and that you can only find it in very old books.

nick   February 5th, 2010 5:55p.m.

Huh, that's weird. I don't think we changed anything, but maybe we cleared out some cached badness somehow. Let us know if it shows up again.

Shisoik   February 5th, 2010 11:03p.m.

Well, it showed up again. This time in the definition practice. Here comes a screenshot:
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4678/screenshotlt.png

nick   February 6th, 2010 3:59p.m.

Hmm. Can you tell me, for each of these fonts, whether you have it installed?

AR PL UKai CN
Kai
KaiTi
楷体
FangSong

Thanks!

taylor04   February 7th, 2010 3:56p.m.

Wow, thats such a cool way to write 真, I might write that just to freak my teacher out. Perhaps in the very distant future Skritter will even start teaching us classical Chinese!

Xerxes314   February 8th, 2010 12:15a.m.

If you like that, you might also like this webpage, which has ancient forms for lots of characters: http://www.internationalscientific.org/CharacterASP/CharacterEtymology.aspx?characterInput=%E7%9C%9F&submitButton1=Etymology

Xerxes314   February 8th, 2010 12:16a.m.

Nuts, the link didn't work, but just copy-paste a character into the little dialog box.

Shisoik   February 9th, 2010 8:03p.m.

Regarding the fonts, I have only 'AR PL UKai CN' among mentioned.

nick   February 10th, 2010 10:22a.m.

Looks like I'll have to get rid of that font, then, if it's misdisplaying that character. These kaiti fonts are hard to get right!

querido   February 11th, 2010 1:29p.m.

This post is about the AR PL UKai font in the Debian package ttf.arphic.ukai (as of NOV08).
I found some characters, including the subject of this thread, that differed from my other sources, including Wenlin. I found the maintainer's mailing list and reported these in Nov 08.

In each case, I was told that what I was seeing was a "glyph variant" or "regional variant". In one case he said it would be fixed in the next release, in another he said the variant was "also valid" and would be retained. Upon reporting the third one, on 16NOV08, part of the reply was this:

"In the basic CJK Unified Ideographs block of Unicode alone, there are about 10,000 codepoints which have such glyph variants. I have a list of them and will implement them into the UMing and UKai fonts over time.
Problem is: I don't have much time in the moment, so the process is stalled, right now.
FYI the document with the glyph shapes as used in each region is here:
http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c039921_ISO_IEC_10646_2003(E).zip"

At that point, I regret to say, I switched to kaiti.ttf 11.2MB version 5.01, borrowed from my XT, and have been happy with it. My only problem has been in keeping other (partial) Chinese fonts off my system so it looks at only this one.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!