Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

(OT) Poll comment

west316   January 22nd, 2011 9:34a.m.

I have a short comment about the poll. I feel the need to point this out. Skritter works like garbage on IE. I selected Firefox because that is the only thing that I can get Skritter to work on. I use IE for everything BUT Skritter.

Your pull results are going to be very skewed for that reason. I have heard other people complain about IE and instead of waiting for the Skritter gods to fix it, it is simply easier for us to switch browsers. My basic background in statistics (2 classes) was screaming at me that the poll was extremely flawed, unless you were trying to measure the rate at which you are driving people to not use IE or Safari with Skritter of course. I felt compelled to point that out.

Maybe most people naturally use the other browsers, but you have a giant variable that your statistics aren't controlling for and your data will be skewed depending on what you are looking for in your research.

LaughingHorseman   January 22nd, 2011 9:50a.m.

I prefer to use Comodo Dragon / Google Chrome; but Skritter worked quite well for me on IE 8.

Foo Choo Choon   January 22nd, 2011 10:07a.m.

I don't see why there should be a need to "measure" browser data using a poll, considering that Skritter already uses Google Analytics, i.e. gets a wealth of wonderful data on just about everything.

Instead, some users don't really know about the browser issue, the poll might give them a reason to switch (e.g. to Chrome).

west316   January 22nd, 2011 10:42a.m.

@莫名儿 - I hadn't thought of that before, but you are right. Now I am curious why they even have that poll.

Tortue   January 22nd, 2011 11:17a.m.

IE (8 and 9) works fine with me even if I exclusively use Chrome

ttjrogers   January 22nd, 2011 12:06p.m.

I haven't had any trouble at all using Skritter on IE8; however, Skritter does seem to run faster on Crome. But then again, everything else seems to run faster on Crome, too.

mcfarljw   January 22nd, 2011 8:56p.m.

@莫名儿, I don't know was the intention of it was, but I like your notion. Already knowing the results of a poll, but posting it to influence and educate users. Excellent!

MasterOfComboBoxes   January 23rd, 2011 9:48a.m.

I switched from Firefox 3.6 to Chrome as the response was a lot faster with my Wacom tablet using a relatively slow netbook.

nick   January 23rd, 2011 5:26p.m.

I don't remember if I had that thought (to remind people about using other browsers for Skritter) or not, but my main motivation was to measure whether the site usage we're seeing in IE comes from people who mainly use it, or who use it only sometimes. Also to guess at whether people who use IE are more or less likely to answer polls. There are more things that we might do with the data later, but for the most part we gather it for later analysis.

Lurks   January 23rd, 2011 7:48p.m.

It's certainly worth mentioning that the flash appears to run faster in Chrome than anything else. Including Firefox *and* the Firefox betas. I really have no idea why.

Not wanting to get involved in any browser wars, but if you're sat there for considerable time skrittering, there's really no reason not to install Chrome just to use Skritter.

You can also use the 'create application shortcut' feature to put a simple icon on your desktop which will launch chrome direct to skritter.

Byzanti   January 24th, 2011 1:07a.m.

On mac the modern Chrome's are pretty slow. I use a variant based on an older Chromium and it's way faster with Skritter....

scott   January 27th, 2011 10:24a.m.

By the way, if you see any IE7 or IE8 bugs, anyone, please let me know. They will tend to be buggier since all of us are entirely Chrome/Firefox users here at Skritter HQ.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!