Looks like the Great Firewall or something like it is preventing you from completely loading www.skritter.com because it is hosted on Google App Engine, which is periodically blocked. Try instead our mirror:

legacy.skritter.cn

This might also be caused by an internet filter, such as SafeEyes. If you have such a filter installed, try adding appspot.com to the list of allowed domains.

Server issues

FatDragon   January 14th, 2011 7:48a.m.

I've been getting server issues off and on lately, where the study page either approaches 30 second connection times and takes several minutes to send a couple dozen requests, or, like now, where it just sits there, with the little nub in the bottom right telling me there are 15 requests to send but the connection is idle. I've checked the status of the App Engine with no apparent issues there, so it's either something on my end (though other internet stuff works fine), or something on Skritter's end.

I'm in Wuhan using the .cn domain. I might give the .com domain a shot momentarily and report back if I can get through the day with no problems there. Also, I've said this in the past, but I don't want my account credited for the time - I'm happy to support Skritter even when it buggers up a bit here and there.

nick   January 14th, 2011 8:49a.m.

I've been doing some digging on this, and App Engine performance is the issue. It's not related to .cn or .com. The connection being idle means that no requests have returned in the last 30 seconds; you'll see that when you're getting a bad error spike. The client does keep trying, at longer and longer intervals, to save those reviews, and will usually get them in there eventually when the spike stops.

It's very frustrating when these spikes happen, and we'll be looking at even more intense ways to work around them, but there's only so much one can do.

This forum is now read only. Please go to Skritter Discourse Forum instead to start a new conversation!